Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello im new here (posting) but i follow you all here and there you seem like a happy bunch so i figure i might ask for some advise...

i have a 720 on my ZR2 and its a good plow for a light build works like a champ

i recently bought a Z71 that has an older 760 on it- i think its way too heavy and a bit of an overkill for reidential, and shortly after i bought it the trans went so its been a money pit so far but i have some questions about sevicing...and im on a tight budget...i have read the posts on flushing

1-the plow moves so slow more so on lifting..its like it lags for a few then crawls like a turtle..i think my electrical is good and reving the alt dont seem to help

2- the rams have play...like i can push the plow left to right by hand not all the way but 1/2...could it be from bad rams or a problem in the pump?

3- minor but to use the power hitch i jump a hot from the bat to the pink wires in the switch to operate the hitch..im guessing it maybe a broken wire somewhere

i took the cap off the fluid resivor and moved the plow and noticed air bubbles in the top of the fluid im not sure if this is normal

when i use the plow my bat gauge drops a lot so this brings me to a bat question..can you use a deep cycle with a regular bat or are 2 regular bats better and they shoud be hooked up pos to pos right?

even though money is scarce i know you guys are going to tell me i need to flush the plow but my small bolts that hold the tank on look rusty like they are not going to come off too easy you tell me

i know im asking a lot so dont kill yourself on my post but if you have some links or simple tips on anything let me know..im hoping i can atleast prevent the motor from burning up my local blizzard dealer will rake me if i go there they have no loyalty they will just answer with the usual laugh and i cant take walking through the door for even oil THANKS for reading
mike-cleveland
i love the smilie with the plow can somebody make me a smilie dragging a ball and chain to describe my 760 :popcorn2

·
Registered
952 Posts
Mike, (I'm assuming) regarding advise, you've come to the right place. Your questions are good and I'm sure others with more experience and much better advise will chime in soon. In the mean time, welcome.

Steve

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
First off welcome.

When you say the 760's way to heavy for the truck I'd have to assume that they put an HD plow with 4 springs on not the LD with 3 springs. IF you have the 3 spring and you think it's too heavy it actually weights in at #550 which is lighter than most anything in it's class till the last couple of years.

On your problems I'm going with a combination of filter / suction causing the bubbles or a sticking valve.

Silver manifold on the plow or Red? Silver it should be like a rocket BUT can be a valve nightmare until they are changed out to new ones or repaired ( read cheaper fix ). Red Manifold will be slower and could have an undersized pump in the unit.

OK starting point, drain the reservoir and check to see if the filter is turned up or to the side and sucking in air.

J

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the welcomes of allt eh plow sites i have seen this seems the best and jerre i see you helping everybody out thanks again....its the red manifold and its the 3 spring but it seems heavier than the standard meyer prob since the pump is on it...and after getting use to the 720 this is a beast in comparrison.....do you think the blots holding the tank on will loosen im sure they have never been removed but they look like they will round off can you tel me what size they are...how much fluid should i buy to flush it? and do i need to stick with blizzard fluid? my fluid level is high so where can the air problem come into play even if it is upside down? and where do you guys buy fluid film does walmart or auto zone cary it?

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Mike, first off the 760 blade is heavier than the Meyer blade but overall is lighter. If the filter is tipped up sideways or to the top it will suck in air as you use the plow. The bolts should come off, most are 5/16 or 3/8. You will need 1.5 qts of oil min and a #10 size hose clamp if you are pulling the reservoir because on the one you have the filter tube can fall right off. Fluid film....touch the button on the banner page and it can magically appear at your house or you can pick it up here or most John Deere dealers or some Napa's.

J

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and when i bought the truck there were no bolts holding the pump to the a frame so i put the 2 in on the sides where they go but it was like ratteling around before i did this..so it might be off like your saying...its mostly full but do you think it will hurt if i top the fluid off until i can get some tomorrow we might be getting hit tonight and sitting in the street waiting for my plow to raise is a bit boring :)...its hard to believe its sucking air since it looks so full but i see the bubbles...and im thinking overful might be better than under and i have a little blizzard oil from when i bought my 720

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and where is the banner page? i clicked the icon on the main page but only seen a spot to order the fluid film

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
That's what Jerre is talking about.

As you raise your plow your fluid level will go down. (cylinder fills as ram extends) If your pickup tube is rotated up in the reservoir, it could most definitely suck air, even if it starts out nearly full.

Welcome to LTS, BTW

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks johnny makes good sense...maybe i can top it off it has about an inch room, i just wonder if it needs that air space since i heard a pressure pop when i took the cap off.. hows that 680 working out the light duty blizzards are a blast
i can run circles around a full size with my s-10 w/ the 720 if it didnt need a fuel pump:(

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Mike, you're probably going to find that it's missing the filter or the filter is rotated. YOU CAN fill it to the top. Peter Beering can ship you Fluid Film as Can I. Other options are John Deere Dealers or check the Fluid Film site and punch in your Zip code for locations near you. J

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
thanks johnny makes good sense...maybe i can top it off it has about an inch room, i just wonder if it needs that air space since i heard a pressure pop when i took the cap off.. hows that 680 working out the light duty blizzards are a blast
i can run circles around a full size with my s-10 w/ the 720 if it didnt need a fuel pump:(
Workin' real good, it's on a lil' wrangler TJ.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i topped it off and notice a difference its not as fast as it should be but its a lot better until i can get the oil to flush and straighten the intake tube out...
it did not seem to help my ram problem the plow is somewhat floating left to right...i just need to leave a little more space when im cutting next to things...
could that still be air causing the prob? i can move it fairly easy by hand...
thanks for the help guys...even though this beast is a bit old and neglected atleast i have a good starting point...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Sounds like a pilgrimage to neighboring Erie might be a good investment of a day.......

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Have you checked the ground at the pump ? Some of those were really hard to get the bolt tight due to clearance issues,and they tend to come loose.

I do agree with getting the reservoir off to check the filters as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes i have good ground connections, but there is a circuit board of some sort- it is in a black protector and it has a wide plug going to it..its under the pump cover unattached...it looks like there is a rusty mounting hole but its not mounted to anything..i'm sure its been this way for a while...do you know what it is or if it needs grounded....and the only other electrical problem is the power hitch switch i jump a hot off the battery to a pretty pink wire on the switch to mount and dismount...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Perhaps you could take a photograph of this situation to enable folks, particularly the guy you should be going to visit in nearby Erie, who also has a banner atop this very page, to see of what you speak???????? Solo Deigo.......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts