Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a large lot. it's roughly 250,00, sqft +. Last year I did it with four trucks and a 580. I want to put a pusher up there this year and I'm tossing around the idea of a skidsteer. I'd rather use a 580 and a pusher, but my partner wants the skidsteer and a pusher. What do you all think the time vs investment beni's would be? I can get a 580 for 425.00 per day or for 100-125 per hour. My partner wants to buy a New Holland skid steer, which would get a lot of use off season. How much snow can a skid steer push?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
That was a joke Ken, in case you weren't sure ;)

My preference would be the 580 for sure. But a couple of things come to mind with your post. Are you guaranteed that the 580 rental is always there? I know in the past I've been lucky to get one when it snows sometimes, because they are all out. So the security of owning a machine vs hoping a rental is available is a big factor. IMO if you're just talking about that one lot, the skidder will be fine, if you get a decent sized one & not one of the smaller ones. Some of the large ones can handle 8' & 10' pushers and they are efficient to use moving snow. If you had a few lots like that close by, then I would say stick to a 580 for them. Have fun deciding!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ken,
What size NH are you looking at? We have 2 LS180 with an 8' and a 10' pusher. I always prefer owning verses renting. Last year we rented another skidsteer to cover a site which always made me nerve because I was never sure there would be a rental when we called. If you are going to rent make sure you reserve it early.

John

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ken,definally go with the backhoe. A 580 with a pusher and a good operator will do the work of 2-3 trucks.Alot of times especially in heavy snow the skid steers loose traction and have trouble pushing a snow pusher.But if you go with a skidder go with the 8 ft pusher anything more is way to much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just installed a Blizzard 8611ss on a New Holland LS 190 stid steer. Im going to post pics soon

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ken,
I agree with Matt, the 580 will out push a skidsteer but it sounds to me that you could utilize the skidsteer year round. I might be looking to sell one of the LS180 and get a LS190.

John

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ken,
I'm not sure what its worth. The older one has about 350 hours on it. Cab, heat, weight kit and I just serviced it. I'll give you a call later today.

John

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ken,
I'm not sure what its worth. The older one has about 350 hours on it. Cab, heat, weight kit, 78" low-pro bucket and I just serviced it. It will need 2 tires soon. I can even sell you a pusher with it. I'll give you a call later today.

John

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ken,
I'm not sure what its worth. The older one has about 350 hours on it. Cab, heat, weight kit, 78" low-pro bucket and I just serviced it. It will need 2 tires soon. I can even rent or sell you a pusher with it. I'll give you a call later today.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Nice machine I always liked the newholland skid steers.Is it a 2 speed?They always made and easy to service machine and vertical lift .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cat,
Thanks. Yes, it is a two-speed. I don't think I would get another skidsteer without it. I can even plow in high gear. The NH are very easy to service. The only thing I don't like is that the hydro pumps are noisey.

John

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Nice little machine. The town where our repair shop is has a skidsteer machine they use for doing the sidewalks. Its a Case machine, not sure which model number though, Ill look at it when they come in with it for diesel fuel again. Its a very powerful little sucker. What size pusher box is that on the one in the picture? It looks to be a little small for the machine, but I bet Im wrong. I know nothing about how powerful they are or even how big of a pusher box they can take comfortably, but it seems those machines are very strong and can push alot of snow and there isnt much that can stop them. Im just judging by watching the town use their Case machine for sidewalks. It seems no matter how big the pile builds up in front of the machine, it just keeps going through it and doesnt even get slowed down. Mike :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks Mike,

The first pic has an 8' pushers. The 180 is the second largest SSL NH makes. It has about 67 hp and weights 7300 lbs. The NH has a longer wheelbase then most. I rented a few Case last year and like them but they didn't seem to push as well. I know they have more hp. Steve from RCS tells me he has been making some custom 14' pusher for the Gehl skidsteer.

John

1 - 20 of 25 Posts