Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to witness a skid steer in operation with a snow blower over the weekend. I know people use them for sidewalks and large piles, but I have never seen one in operation. A contractor pulled up next to a site that I do, which had about 3" of snow on it. He unloaded his Bobcat with his snowblower attached. This lot is approx. 70,000 sq. ft. He circled the building following the contour of the sidewalks and left a very clean edge. He than proceded to circle the building blowing the snow away from the building. I wondered to myself what he was doing. I was amazed how fast he cleared the lot and blew the snow where he wanted it to go. There were no piles near the building. I know when using a bucket it fills quickly and you need to dump it. He had a snowblower that was wider than the tire path so he was able to get close to everything. I think this might be quicker than using a pusher, bucket or even a Blizzard 810SS or 8611SS. I have never thought of cleaning a lot this way, but I think he might be on to something, especially if you had one of those high flow 2 speed machines.

Maybe Steve will give his input here, since I know he operates a CAT with a Blower.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I agree with it being a time saver with deep snow but when it snows only a few inches or 6 a box or plow might be faster.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
The only time I've used my machine for general plowing was last season on the President's Day blizzard. The storm got ahead of me and visibility was near zero, so I drove the machine around my route to open tough accounts that had drifted beyond my truck's abilities.

The blower has its place in snow removal, but I think in light snows a plow or pusher might be faster. I don't have the 2 speed option on my Cat, it's the original model, so top speed is about 7 mph. A pickup with an 810 would be much faster, but you would leave the piles behind. If you have the need for placing snow in a particular spot, then the blower can do that for you. It also reduces the volume of the snow by 6 times, so your piles are much smaller.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts