Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All David NH here, Well.I am on my 3rd chevy 2500 hd.And I'm looking to trade in within the next few weeks or so.I really like the looks of the Ford f250 super duty xlt super cab auto trans and gas engine.,Also I would be buying one with a plow allready installed. I plan on trading in my current plow that is on my chevy,Any good bad points on this model? Hows is the 5.4 does it have plenty of power ect? My cureent chevy has a 6.0 liter gas. engine ect? I have heard that the super dutys have some front end issues? Any help or input would be great thanks, David

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Hello David

A Ford gas engine super would be fine , my fleet was once pretty much all Supers . The 5.4 which i had three and this has been discussed before can be a little light on the power band when pushing wet heavy, i have not pushed snow with a three valve 5.4 dont know how much better they got with power on that updated version.

I managed fine with mine just had to change up the guys plow habits on wet and heavy snow falls. Over all deep inside ill probley always be a Ford man except my intrests would change to a towing buss and buying superduty wrecker with a 6.0 would do nothing but cause me grief so i have slowly phased them out i have one early 03 with a 7.3 thats probley my best workhorse long wheel base wrecker, then 2 6.0's a 450 and 550 wreckers that honeslty i dont feel real comfortable with.

For me i would switch to Dodge 5500 chassis with 6.7 and i have two IH 4300 Wreckers with DT466 engines that are flawless.

Again i think the Ford would be fine power concerns on wet heavy would always be my concern but again it can be overcome.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re should I buy a Ford

Thanks for the input.I guess I'll know a bit more when I get down to the dealership this week,and test drive one.And of course see what I can pay for one? David

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Dave,

Bills 01 is a 5.4L2V with 4:10s, my 06 is a 5.4L3V with 3:73's...

I have plowed with both trucks and all in all they both perform very well (as Fred said they aren't a power animal engine so in heavy wet slop there needs to be some compromise).

If the truck is going to perform a lot of snow work/towing I would definitely recommend opting for a truck with 4:10's. Mileage suffers but with these trucks mileage isn't going to be all too exciting with the gasser motors anyways.

·
Registered
184 Posts
They are light on power, and horrible on gas when plowing. I have 2 and every 8-10 hours I have to fuel up. I would buy a GMC 2500 HD duramax, I've had to many problems with the Ford 6.0's to deal with Ford anymore.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
You are coming out of a 6.0 liter GM gasser,going into a beefier,heavier,taller truck with less torque,and more drag.A supercab 4x4 superduty is a heavy truck.I don't think you will be happy with the power,although it will do the job,as was stated.It all depends on what your ok with.If it were me,I'd go with a V10,its less than $1000.00 more.This way,you have the power to plow the wet heavy storms without needing full throttle,and or low range.Also have decent heavy towing power if need be,it will pull an enclosed trailer at highway speeds with no trouble,something a 5.4 superduty has a full time job with on any grades.If you tow much,it'd be a V10 for me.
Plowing,towing,or empty highway running,I'd bet money on the v10 will get better mpg than the 5.4.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Thanks the input everyone,maybe I should just buy a 4th Chevy2500hd,David
David, Be aware that the GM 6.0 V8 is now rated at 360 HP, and comes with a 6 speed auto. IMHDAO, in the gas trucks, it's pretty hard to beat the GM 6.0, especially as base equipment.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's refreshing to see constructive critisism here, not like other forums were it's all bad talk about someone else's vehicles.

My motto is buy what you are comfortable with and what J.D said, if it's done you well keep buyin them.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
re should I buy a Ford

I really appreciate all the feedback,I will be stopping by one or two dealerships this week. looking at 09 chevy 2500 hd ext cab and also Ford f 250 super duty with the triton V10,.very curious about pricing ect, I have looked at both Chevy &ford sites, but will really see how bad they want to move trucks,only bad part is what they will offer me for my truck, it is a 2007 chevy classic model 2500 HD reg long bed.has a Rhino sprayed in lining.vent shades, touneu cover.factory wheels tires alllways come off in the fall.I have dedicated wheels and tires for thw winter.also has a Sno way model mt with wireless remote control,19.180 miles as of this morning.David

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
re Ford new truck first price.

Well I got a quick price on a 2009 ford super duty super cabf250 xlt with the 6.8 liter Triton engine, auto trans sirus radio roof lights, snow plow package trailering package .4.10 limited slip diff. ect ect sticker is 38.155 there price so far dwon to 32.671.00 they offer for my truck 15.500. the fun has just begun,Now i get more prices, than let them call back and I will offer much less. Let everyone knows what I end up with, David

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Dave somthing you might also want to do is check prices on the 350's. One thing I have noticed is that there cheaper. Doubt me if you want but check anyway. Seems the 250 is more popular so commands higher price.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
re should I buy a Ford

Thanks David.I'll have to check on that, .I expect a call from the Ford salesman sometime today.I enjoy dealing with car salesman it's like a game., hahah. David

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
well have fun playing David long as they know you don't need the truck they will deal soon as they smell blood forget about it .

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
re Ford

OH yes,I know how they work,I worked at a couple of dealerships when I was a kid in my 20s I was a Nissan tech.Yes. I don't need to buy anythng just would like to get a new truck.I dont keep them longer than 2 years.My truck only has 19.100 miles .If I can stea:grinzl one I will if I can't than I wont buy anything.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Dave here's a 350 a couple k more than what you listed but it's a 1 ton xlt lariat. If you aint talking with these guys you should. I bought my 04 from them 8k less than I could get anywhere else.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
re Ford

Hello David.did you try and send me a PM? ect???? or some dealership info? thanks David

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts