Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a 2009 Chevy2500 HD. I had my plow on last weekend, drove approx.
2 miles at 30-35 mph. Everything was fine, turned onto the highway, reached 45-50 mph coming up the on ramp, when I looked down at the "engine temp guage" it read 210-normal. However, when I looked at the "outside temp" it said it was 112 degrees. I realize that the airflow to the radiator was nil, I have searched for info on this here and there isn't any reference to my year 2009 truck. Wyldman mentions a replacement fan clutch. Does anyone have any info if the 2009 needs this? And just for sh**'s and giggles. If you purchase a brand new vehicle with a "Plow Prep Package" on it wouldn't you think the Einstein's at GM would have included the needed fan clutch? Just a thought! Any help would be great. Thanks. Chris

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I don't think there is anything to worry about. My Dodge will do the same thing once in a while. Drop the plow down and don't get on the throttle that hard. Always keep an eye on the temp gauge when traveling with a plow on your truck. If it is happening without the plow you prob have issues.

Welcome to LTS too!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply...same thing happened with my 2002 2500HD. Ended up overheating to shutdown point. Then twice after that oilstick read dry. So I'm a little gunshy. Curious about the fan clutch though. thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have an '02 2500HD also but with the duramax/allison. I have not seen any overheating problems but I always drive with the plow angled to the right (unless it is night time where the SS plow reflects alot of the headlights back at me). try that and see if it lets any more air in from the side.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
You have nothing to worry about!

My 07 GMT-900 gasser also runs anywhere from 210 to 240
while running down the road with the plow up high thus blocking
the air flow thru the grill. Just pushing snow or even running
without the plow mounted it runs around 200 to 210 !

I figure as long as there is no overheat alarm/tone or warning light
I am ok!

As far as the outside temp guage reading high mine can read anywhere
from 30 to 110 even tho its freezing outside! The temp sensor is
mounted on the radiator support in the front and center.

BTW: The TSB/recall on the fan clutch deal was on the gmt-800s anyhoo.
Its listed here in the GM forum.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Like said i wouldnt worry about it the outside temp isnt that acurate on any vech anyway just watch your temp gage on the dash.

I have transported more blizzards off the front of my trucks from Erie to Mich in Sept , Oct than i care to count lowering the blade so theres airflow is all thats needed. The worst thing i ever had to do on those long transports was strap the deflector down so it wasnt pushing up. Most of those trips my blades i would install one set of highway shoes i used on all of them and run the blade three inches off the ground worst thing that would happen is tailgaters would back off if i bounced a little from the spark show.:wink

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
The outside temp sensor is nothing but another useless do-dad to make techs lives miserable. If the vehicle was not overheating you wouldn't be posting this would ya ??? LOL

The more junk that goes in a vehicle the more things your going to have to complain about.

Just watch the TEMP gauge like my buddy Fred said.

·
Registered
193 Posts
NO your in trouble. abandon the truck...in my driveway. I will take care of it...

you are fine...i like to see how low i can get the outside temp...I was down to 34 last week! too bad it was 20 out. then had it up to 110 same day...oh well.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've noticed that the outside temp sensor will get a crazy long before you see rising transmission and engine temps. For me, if I can regulate the outside air temp sensor by positioning the plow to allow maximum airflow, I have notover heating issues. Even the transmission will stay at 100-120 degrees at 50 mph. However, if I see the outside temps rise above 80 degrees for an extended time, I'll see transmission temps hit 180-200 and the engine will start to creep up to 220 or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts