Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Chev 2500hd Duramax with a western wideout plow, for the last year it has flashed and dinged service traction control every time I hit the buttons while plowing, very frustrating..... I have had it at the dealer and $700 later all they can say is its a voltage spike. they don't know where its coming from or how to fix. Can anyone help here? I have also taken it to the plow dealer and we put a new plow on to test and no difference.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have a 2013 Chev 2500hd Duramax with a western wideout plow, for the last year it has flashed and dinged service traction control every time I hit the buttons while plowing, very frustrating..... I have had it at the dealer and $700 later all they can say is its a voltage spike. they don't know where its coming from or how to fix. Can anyone help here? I have also taken it to the plow dealer and we put a new plow on to test and no difference.

Do you have dual batteries? Often this will help mitigate the voltage spikes from the plow operating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 alternator is new, they tested both though, they are calling it a drop in amps. they stuck a diode on them to prevent the spikes but still an issue.

·
Registered
228 Posts
First, your batteries need to be 100%. If they are over a few years old, replace them. Now when you are operating the plow, what is the amperage draw, and also what is the amperage output from the alternators when you stop operating the plow, if this spikes up it may be causing your problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had them do a load test on both batteries to make sure they were both still good. they are saying when I hit the controls it draws a lot of amp and when I let go it spikes back up triggering the service traction control to flash. I didn't know I could isolate just 1 alt and 1 battery for the plow, I will have to ask the dealer if this is an option.
Thanks Gentlemen.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I had them do a load test on both batteries to make sure they were both still good. they are saying when I hit the controls it draws a lot of amp and when I let go it spikes back up triggering the service traction control to flash. I didn't know I could isolate just 1 alt and 1 battery for the plow, I will have to ask the dealer if this is an option.
Thanks Gentlemen.
Sure you can isolate anything you want to. The question is will the cost of doing it on a factory dual alternator and battery setup be worth it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It is a diesel correct? You are not isolating any battery or alternator because the starter needs both batteries to start. Now I could get into series parrael switches, but that would be asinine. Is this a new install, or an prior install that has started doing this? There are some TSBs from dealers about snow plow voltage spikes. You need to check the motor amperage draw. See if it is to high. Next time this happens, turn on all your accessories and see if it stops, more things running will suck up the voltage spike.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It is a diesel correct? You are not isolating any battery or alternator because the starter needs both batteries to start. Now I could get into series parrael switches, but that would be asinine. Is this a new install, or an prior install that has started doing this? There are some TSBs from dealers about snow plow voltage spikes. You need to check the motor amperage draw. See if it is to high. Next time this happens, turn on all your accessories and see if it stops, more things running will suck up the voltage spike.
I highly doubt this truck in question requires 400 or more amps of alternator power capacity or 1600 to 2200 CCA of battery capacity either too start.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Then why did the auto manufacturer put them there? Do you know the required amperage needs for a starter? Without looking it up? The OP asked a question, I am trying to help him without him spending a grand on re wiring his charging system.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Then why did the auto manufacturer put them there? Do you know the required amperage needs for a starter? Without looking it up? The OP asked a question, I am trying to help him without him spending a grand on re wiring his charging system.
The standard alternator is 150amps on a 2019 Durmax 6.6l engine. The standard plow prep package is a 220amp alternator. Now, you can double either 150 or 220amp alternators in addition. But the increased alternator amperage isn’t for starting the truck. It is just for recovery. I would set it up, with a selnoid isolation relay switch that when operation of the plow occurs you just use one battery and alternator for recovery. And when you start the truck both batteries work in parallel to give you the amperage for cold starts. I bet it only draws at most 800 amps when cold starting at temperatures of 0F...

The Durmax isn’t exactly a Cummins NH 855 cid block...

I wasn’t trying to downplay you I was just being realistic the truck could be setup up to operate the plow independently of the rest of the electrical system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The truck is a Duramax with dual 145 amp alts I believe. The truck has had a plow since it was bought new, this just started 2 years ago. I don't really want to get in to band aiding issues, I would like to find what the source of the problem is... As already mentioned, I had the western dealer install a new plow and harness to see if the problem went away and no change so I don't think the motor is drawing too much amperage. As for the the draw to start in temps of 0F, this morning was -15F and its not going to get any better lol.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The truck is a Duramax with dual 145 amp alts I believe. The truck has had a plow since it was bought new, this just started 2 years ago. I don't really want to get in to band aiding issues, I would like to find what the source of the problem is... As already mentioned, I had the western dealer install a new plow and harness to see if the problem went away and no change so I don't think the motor is drawing too much amperage. As for the the draw to start in temps of 0F, this morning was -15F and its not going to get any better lol.
If the dealers for both the truck and the plow are strymied by this problem—the internet will probably give you only bandaid solutions at best.

To me the problem at the root is the overly complex nature of the modern pickup truck. Simplicity is often a great thing when it comes to work vehicles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts