Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear a light scraping sound when lightly moving the wheel back a forth in its slight freeplay . Sounds like something in the steering column ? any ideas

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Hi BWhite
If it sounds high in the column more than likely it's the clockspring.
They have a habbit of getting noisy.
As long as nothing else has happened along the way and the steering feels tight etc.
I've changed lots.. :p

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Is it up near the top,or down low under the dash ?

I see a lot of DC products where the steering wheel rubs on the plastic column covers.Loosening the cover,and repositioning it may help.A shot of silicone spray behind the wheel may cure it too.

If it's down low under the dash,then it may be the lower bearing in the column.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
closer investigation

sounds like power steering , like I can hear the fluid moving ,its getting a bit noisy

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
How is the fluid level and condition ? Could it be due for a flush maybe ? Synthetic ATF does wonders for most power steering systems.It may help your noise,if that's what it is.

Also double check and make sure that the hoses are still flexible and not touching anything.Hardened or grounded hoses will transmit noise up into the cab.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Without hearing this noise there are going to be lots of things to check. If you FEEL it's now a p/s noise. Pump (Swishing type) noises can vary in degree by age and temp. If the fluid is full check for air bubbles in the resovoir. Pumps can bubble fluid if the clearances go south. Chrysler has come out with a few different p/s fluids to combat this Hiss, swish type noise in their cars. Not positive in trucks. Might want to look into a replacement of the fluid.. The new fluid does help in the cars that are noisy.
Also check if for some reason a hose is rubbing on something and transmitting this noise..
Just a few things to think about....

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info !

thanks for the tips . I change the pump fluid yearly and use synthetic fluid . I believe the added weight of the plow taxes the power steering system . The pump maybe giving up ?? and always at the worst time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.