Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I will try to explain this the best I can:

I bought a buyers salter recently, I love the unit BUT It runs different depending on whether the truck is running or not.

Ok so I got it all hooked up, it only runs with the key on or the truck running(how its supposed to run). When the key is turned on (with out the truck running) the unit runs great #0-9 work fine, blast kicks it to full power, and # 9 is the SAME speed as blast.

So now when I start the truck, it does not have the speed it had before I started the truck. The blast still works and the speed changes between #0-9 BUT #9 is slower while the truck is running than when its not. I know this because when the unit is on #9 and I hit blast it then runs full speed.

I checked the power connections and even hooked them to different power sources, including running EVERYTHING beside the ground directly to the battery and got the same result each time.

Any suggestions?

It just seems odd that it runs fine with the key just turned on and not when the truck is running.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Salt going down.....kill the engine.......very funny......why I outta....................LOL:D

Well it works alright, I ran it last night on the first big scale, I just need to reach down and hold my finger on the blast from time to time, no big deal. For now as long as it spins and throws salt I am happy. I will look into it a bit when the snow slows down.

(by the way we need about 3-4 snows a week like the one we had last night gotta love 2-3"ers

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Could it be that due to the lower voltage with the truck off (battery voltage,lets say 12V) the spinner will not go any faster between 9 and blast ? Then when you start it the charging system bumps the voltage up (14.5 V) it now has the extra juice and you notice the extra speed when you hit the blast button.

It could just be the controller reacting to the different voltages as well.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
It just seems odd that it runs fine with the key just turned on and not when the truck is running.

Chris,

I think he said that the salter runs better when there is no load. Key in the igniton turned forwards. Okay yup im sure he did :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thought I would re visit this thread to update, I still had a problem with the spreader and set out to fix it one way or the other, even if I had to buy a new motor and speed controller.

First thing I did was jump all the ground connections straight to the battery, I checked the operation after every jumped ground so as to find the problem. Oh by the way, this year the problem got so bad that the spreader would not even turn without the blast being pressed.

Once I had checked all the grounds I still had not found the problem so I thought, what the heck, I ran 2 wires from the battery and hooked the motor up direct, that thing had so much power it about took my fingers off when I tried to stop the spinner.(I could stop it easily before)

To make a long story short (and a long day) I tore apart the speed controller and there I saw a ground wire fastened to the box, they had painted the inside of the speed controller box and hooked the ground to it. I cleaned off the paint to bare metal and whola, the spreader works perfect now!

Only a year and many many hrs later, and having to break the tag that says "DO NOT OPEN WILL VOID WARRENTY" LOL

I guess it was a ground after all, just never thought to look inside the box.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
If Snowboy revisits this one,
Chris understood exactly what Todd was saying. Re-read what Chris wrote ;)

Todd,
I thought the saying was "think outside the box" ;)

Thanks for the update. After years of troubleshooting these things for friends & subs, who woulda guessed all we had to do was fix a simple ground inside the controller. :headwall ...all those wasted hours... :grinz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts