Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everybody do with the leftover salt at the end of the winter? I don't think I ever read anything about how you store it in the off season.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Same here what ever I have left over stays covered until next season.

Some guys that just work off the truck so to speak try do dump what every they have left after every run.That is ok if you don't minde throwing money out the door.

·
Registered
224 Posts
does moisture ever become a problem for the salt even if its covered? do you have to maintain it at all, like stirring it up or something?

·
Registered
153 Posts
For the next winter, I was thinking to put my salt in a 20 or 40 foot sea container. And leave the skidsteer in it. I would believe the salt will stay dry and without big chunks! I tried an old 5 ton truck box, wasn't bad, but the top layer (about 3") became rock hard. No good to stop humidity from getting in. So, if a sea container stops the water from getting in, chances are, the salt will be in good shape. What do you guys think about that??? :canada

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
business said:
For the next winter, I was thinking to put my salt in a 20 or 40 foot sea container.:canada
Good idea. I had that idea when I wanted to do a big contract. The rental is huge $$ wasn’t worth it. Couldn’t find many places that would let me put salt in there same with the roll off open top bins. You would need a stone slinger to load it or else you end up with half its capacity since the bobcat arms will hit the top of the container. Good luck with that. :canada

·
Registered
413 Posts
I needed the space in the bin to store pallets, salters, etc. So I donated the last 30 tons of salt left in the bin to a chartiable organization. I loaded, they trucked it. I'm sure once I'm not as strapped for space and I have a dedicated bin I will store over summer, but in the meantime there is nothing like charity.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Sell it to hunters. They bait the Bears I think it is. Spread it a month before season and then come in season and they have a better chance of catching some game.

They go in with a 4 wheeler and a spreader on the back and go nuts.

Dave.

·
Registered
473 Posts
business said:
For the next winter, I was thinking to put my salt in a 20 or 40 foot sea container. And leave the skidsteer in it. I would believe the salt will stay dry and without big chunks! I tried an old 5 ton truck box, wasn't bad, but the top layer (about 3") became rock hard. No good to stop humidity from getting in. So, if a sea container stops the water from getting in, chances are, the salt will be in good shape. What do you guys think about that??? :canada
Sounds good except for the idea of leaving the skid steer in with the salt, it will leave you with nothing but problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts