Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made one of these from a car starter? I read it many moons ago on the other site and may possibly rig something up.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I posted about that. A sub of mine did this. Bought a $20.00 or so starter at the junk yard & welded a piece of metal onto it so that it was unbalanced. Works great with his single axle dump with hydro tailgate spreader.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
can a starter handle continuous duty like that?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
A starter motor will do the trick.You don't need to run it all the time,just enough to shake the salt loose.

I have made a few in the past,and they work OK.Just make sure it's well mounted,as one of the ones I made came off after the nose cone broke off.A brace or strap to secure the rear of the starter body would prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would you recommend to weld on the starter? I tried a 1/2 inch nut and it barely shaked when i put juice to it. And should i cut the aluminum piece off the end of the starter?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I'll try to get a look at the one my friend made this weekend. If I recall correctly he did take off the aluminum part. The piece of metal he added was about 3"-4" long by an inch or so wide and was around 3\8" thick. Give or take a little LOL.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My first vibrator lol

Here is what I came up with.It's a chrysler starter BTW There are 2 berrings on the geared shaft underneathe the housing so i should not need any support in top. Had to weld the long piece on it this morning to get the results I wanted but works prety good.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'd fabricate a shield around the ofset weight in case it breaks free when spinning. Could be a missle.:eek:

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got a 4 inch piece of pvc to put over it, will be doing it tomorrow:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
ok guys help me here i have this problem that my salt is boring a hole and it isnt falling after the hole is made by the auger, so i want to make one of these contraptions, how does this work i see in the pic that the bar is on the out side do u only run it for a few sec to smack the hopper? what about drilling a hole in the bottpm of the hopper and inserting it inside the hopper?? well anyways please advise me on how i can make one of these

thanks

Rich

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the same problem that is why i made the vibrator. I have to run mine as soon as i turn the spreader on because i am using bulk salt.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
That bar doesn't hit the hopper. It is just set to be off balance from the starter, so it vibrates from not being correct, which shakes the hopper, which knocks the salt into the hole hopefully. You can also buy a vibrator specifically made for these applications. Some of the online suppliers are selling them, and your local dealers should be able to get them as well. You can also do a google search to find other companies selling vibrators that will work for these spreaders.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Walt-
Do you have any pictures of the vib after you added the PVC pipe to it?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
John No I don't Had all day yesterday to do it but never did lol. After i get in from plowing i am gonna work on it. Im just gonna put a piece of 4 inch over it and zip tie it to the hopper frame. I will get some picks when I get too it.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a selonoid on the front fender next to my battery, and a toggle switch in the cab. I ran an 8 Gauge wire to the starter.

·
Registered
109 Posts
snowjoker

did you use a seperate selonoid? if so did you just run the hot from the selonoid to the swithc and then from the switch run a power to the motor and a ground to the switch? whre can you find a switch that has a acc a power and a ground that can handle that much power??

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is a power in from the battery to the selonoid, and another power out to the vibe. On top of the selonoid is a place for a small wire which i ran a wire to a toggle switch, which turns the selonoid on and off. BTW yes there is a seperate selonoid.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts