Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new Boss 8'2 V and couldn't bring myself to spend an additional $250 for the rubber snow delfector.

Anyone have an idea where I could purchase some thick rubber matting to make my own?

I'm in the Detroit area

Thanks all

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Hit the gravel pit, or construction companys, look for old conveyor belting,if no luck pm me and i will get you a piece.

·
Registered
270 Posts
check tractor suppy company for bailer belt, i think thats what it is. it is cheap and will do the trick. you need to find something to keep the ends from flying up though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Undecided

I put a boss deflector on my 8' blade because I was sick of cleaning off the window at the wipers. But I'm torn on whether or not they are the best solution. They do keep most of the snow off the truck (but not always), however, the part I hate is that the plow lifts and stops scraping. The snow rolls up the plow and hits the deflector and causes lift. Especially at higher speeds. Drives me nuts. So I dont know what is worse, snow on the cowl or going over and replowing an area. Also, when pushing piles, the deflector gets packed into the pile and when you back away, it brings snow with it.:mad:

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
I put a boss deflector on my 8' blade because I was sick of cleaning off the window at the wipers. But I'm torn on whether or not they are the best solution. They do keep most of the snow off the truck (but not always), however, the part I hate is that the plow lifts and stops scraping. The snow rolls up the plow and hits the deflector and causes lift. Especially at higher speeds. Drives me nuts. So I dont know what is worse, snow on the cowl or going over and replowing an area. Also, when pushing piles, the deflector gets packed into the pile and when you back away, it brings snow with it.:mad:
You have the hard plastic and not the rubber.... I bet..... The plastic does the same as the fisher deflectors. The rubber ones don't

·
Registered
68 Posts
I put conveyor belt on mine. Took less then an hour and cost very little compared to the factory $250 one. Couple of pieces of angle iron and some bolts and it was good to go.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Its the rubber one. I thought about cutting the material down a little. THe rubber almost points straight down. I've seen others that have more of a curve to them.

·
2,184 Posts
Thas odd. Normally the "ridged" style, either plastic or steel will cause lift. Normally the rubber does not have enough strength to cause the plow to lift.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I have never heard of this situation nor have I ever seen it. Your deflector must be wayyyyy to long, cut it to about 10 inches. Better yet post a picture of this thing, I want to see it. how thick is this rubber your using? I use conveyor belt thats 1/2 inch thick and never ever had a problem.

·
2,184 Posts
I have never heard of this situation nor have I ever seen it. Your deflector must be wayyyyy to long, cut it to about 10 inches. Better yet post a picture of this thing, I want to see it. how thick is this rubber your using? I use conveyor belt thats 1/2 inch thick and never ever had a problem.
It happens... Fisher snow foils are known for it on WET HEAVY snow that builds in front of the plow

·
Registered
87 Posts
here are the pictures of the BOSS deflector. I should note that the lifting only occurs with the BOSS wing extensions on.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yah, I think Boss is waay too expensive on the flapper, when you buy a 4k plow ya think they would include it. I bought a new vee and used a 9" piece of rubber, then I used stainless flat stock and stainless bolts to hold it on. There is a guy on ebay selling conveyer belt already cut to lenghth for $25.00, thats what I was gonna get, but ended up finding a piece that would work in my shop.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Clean blade face?

I've never had my fisher blades lift since giving up on the metal snow foil. (I use rubber now). Is it possible the rust on your blade helps the snow to build up?

I keep my blades clean because there are times in deep heavy snow when you can just barely make it and a clean sliding blade makes all the difference.

My fisher blades have never rusted on the front face. At the end of the season I prime and spray paint the face. Then each fall I do a very careful paint job, around four coats, leveling between.

These allow some paint to wear off all the time. Eventually I'm down to bare metal on the ends, but winter use keeps it shiny. This year I'm down to bare metal after just December. Great winter so far!

I just bought a stainless blade, not because I've ever had rust, but because I'm tired of painting everything.

I need a rubber deflector for my new plow. Thanks for starting this thread!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts