Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my truck to the local dealer for two reasons.
1 Its leaking antifreeze but I cant figure out where. Its been a problem for 10,000 miles. Never leaves a spot on the ground but using a pint a week. More when im working it hard.
2 The transmission has some issues. Hard shifting. Sporadic shifting. Probably all programming related.

The truck has 47,000 miles. The transmission problems have been there before and they have worked on it since 12,000 miles off and on for the same problem.

I plow a lot with it. I tow a lot with it. I use the truck to make me money every day. Its not a grocery getter (not that there is anything wrong with that). I depend on it and I dont want it to leave me stranded. I do the maintenance on or before its recommended. I want the truck to be reliable and last.

So I took the truck to the dealer for these problems. Not the first time. They called me after several hours and told me to come get it. And when I got there this is what they said:

"Mr Ribble we know there is something wrong with your truck. We cant find the leak, and we have experienced the trans shifting problem you mentioned. We dont know what it is. So we documented it. When there is a catastrophic failure or there is a more significant problem just bring it back. You have no codes so it cant be that bad"

Now is this really the type of response to get? I bought a $60,000 truck. Ive taken care of it. This is the best you can do? For real? Maybe my expectations are too high.
What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm sorry to say this, but sometimes in order to find a problem you need a hard failure. If there are no codes, and no obvious or even not so obvious causes for the problem, it is very difficult to find the true problem.I know that is a difficult thing to hear, but, sometimes that's just the way it is. It is worse with intermittent problems . Make certain you have copies of the documentation signed by the service manager that stated there is a known issue and it will be covered even beyond the warranty. As they have yet to fix it during the warranty Period.

As always, make sure you have your backup plows and trucks ready for when this truck does need service.I know this is not the response you were looking for, and maybe someone else will have something that is actually helpful for you. I do wish you the best of luck with this. I know exactly how it is to have a problem nagging you that you cannot find. I have a truck that has been supposedly fixed 4 times this season. It is now sitting quietly in my driveway. It is very frustrating, and adds a lot of needless pressure to my life. Not exactly the way I wanted this season to go.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts