Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I hope every one is having fun plowing and being safe.
I went to all residental this year. And was waoundering what everyone else does. If you are getting a 5" or 6" storm do you wait till the end and plow or do you plow with the storm. I charge by the inch. So i was woundering. Now in a blizzard. Say 12" i do plow with the storm but i was woundering on the small storms what do your do wait or plow with. Much thanks

Rich:burnout

·
Registered
46 Posts
wait until the storm is over for small amounts ive even waited for the full foot to drop the truck will handle it any more than that plow with the storm

·
Registered
387 Posts
76- I'm mostly residential also. I'm a pretty small operation, I run 2 trucks, each with a shoveler for about 55 driveways. I have some clients who are doctors, etc, who need to be out by 6 or 7 a.m, so they get done whether it has stopped snowing or not. Then I will usually wait until it stops, and hit everybody else. Then I will go back and finish the early ones.
Many of my snow clients are elderly, so it is easier, they are just happy to see us! They don't mind if you are not there right away.
As far as pricing, I have a handful of seasonal contracts and the rest are per push. Mike

·
Registered
217 Posts
You Can't go wrong plowing with the storm Esp when its bad, as it can pile up Really fast and catch you off guard!

5-6 inches wait till its done.
I have pushed up to 20" in one shot but don't recomend it!
Every drive, cust can be different as to the amount snow you can wait to plow,along with your rig.
Also when will the storm end? All this falls into when to plow.

I always make sure to keep the drives open for access to the homes on heavy or long duration storms.

IE: Blizzards 1ft is not a Blizzard but like last yr when we had 20+
I kept working the comm lots then broke away to do some drives to keep them open , then back to the big stuff, When it's snowing 2" an hour it adds up fast, you kinda need a plan or idea to rotate things as needed .
On the large storms,I Will keep the drive open with a couple of quick opening passes, so plow line also doesn't get to large also.

All my res are per push and I don't run into any complaints on how I handle the storms.

Also How did you break it down per inch for the drives?
The commercial lots I did were per Inch.
Better safe than sorry!
Looks like were going out later !
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Mine are mostly residentials. I've always priced them by the depth with 3" triggers - 3" to 6", 6" to 9", 9"-12" etc. This year I'm giving one price for anything to 12". Usually I figure out what I would charge for the 6-9 range and go with that. Of the people I gave an option this year, all went with the same pricing to 12" even though the 3-6 would be cheaper. Also, I've always tried plowing with the storm. Seems like it never worked out for one reason or another. Now I just wait till it's over. With the 1/2 ton pickup, I was pushing 10-12" with no problems. Now that I use the one ton, I've pushed 20" without straining it.

Realize that I live in an area where "everybody knows everybody". I don't use contracts. Everybody knows that if it's going to be a protracted snowfall, that I'll push more than once. I've only had one person gripe and that was a person new to the area. I no longer plow for them.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Res plowing

If you wait for the snow to stop you will limit the total number of customers you can have . Its always easier on you and your equipment when you plow with the storm .

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I plow with the storm unless we will get just 3-5 I will wait to do the residetials just so i can clean everything after the town plows have gone by.But for the most part with the storm.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
The first real storm we got i plowed the first round at about 5 inches and the second round was at 8 inches, so i would say plow with the storm and you could probabbly pick up a few new customers in between customers.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My contract states that if there is one inch or more on the ground by 2:00AM or 11:30AM we go out and plow. We set it up this way to get customers cleared out; to get to and from work. If it is a heavy snow event, we will plow with the storm.

A couple of years back we got 21" in 24 hours, we plowed every driveway 3 times and went on an additional clean up run as well.

Chuck B.

·
Registered
218 Posts
5-6 I would tend to wait till the storm is over. Ove 6" they will most likely be getting done twice. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts