Snowplow Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
i think having an alarm on a truck that is not required to have one,and putting it on a switch is a liability risk....im no lawyer,but anytime you have a piece of "safety" equipment,and choose not to use it,you could then be accused of being negligent...maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm or correct me....I was told this several times,for different issues,once you have something and choose not to use it,even if it wasnt required,you can be held liabile.Also a switch opens you up to one more thing to have to do or to forget to turn on....
Very good point John, gives a person somthing to really think about. I'll have to do some investigating here in my state on the laws. We only installed them for commercial on site safety purposes. They were sold without, so Im asumming it is'nt law. I installed the switch's for my own purpose's:popcorn2

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
i think having an alarm on a truck that is not required to have one,and putting it on a switch is a liability risk....im no lawyer,but anytime you have a piece of "safety" equipment,and choose not to use it,you could then be accused of being negligent...maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm or correct me....I was told this several times,for different issues,once you have something and choose not to use it,even if it wasnt required,you can be held liabile.Also a switch opens you up to one more thing to have to do or to forget to turn on....

John, your thoughts echo mine. I'm concerned about the liability aspect.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I drive a big truck and while working for a paving company we had several workers on the job that had/hae a habit of walking behind a truck and stopping in the blind spot when you are backing up. If i had ran them over which i did not I'd of been in big trouble if i did not have a working back up alarm. And in years past on another job I wasn' t on that one had a younger guy get backed over by a dump truck(he wasn't that bright) he got wraped all around the drive shaft of the truck tore off all his clothes foreman told me wasn';t a good day for him to wear leopard print underware. Some jobs it is a big deal anything that has inspectors on it big safety issue. The safety man even sidelined a mini excavator for not having a back up alarm. Oh and if you have one make sure you apply the sticker to the dash as well and if you have the sticker and no back up bell that is working you can get a ticket for that too. It is a safety issue and all the jobsites I go on it is requiered for all large trucks and equipment of all sizes to have a back up alarm. I think the way the rule is written if you can not turn around and see direclty behind you you are requierd to have one.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought that any commercially registered vehicle had to have a back up alarm. I know alot around here dont, including me. But it could just be a rule that then dont enforce.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Federal law requires a back-up alarm on construction vehicles that leave the public roadway. If you play on a construction site, then you are required to have an alarm. This is a construction site safety requirement that is independent of DOT and OSHA rules.

As for liability, if you squish someone by backing over them you will have many more problems than worry about whether you had an alarm.

As for the Michigan bill, call your legislator!!!!!! Most can be e-mailed and they will pay attention. This sort of thing typically results from some sort of catastrophe or close call. Maybe one of you Michigan guys should install one and plow the Senator's driveway at 2am? Might be worth the $40 to buy a nice loud one.

As for the admiral's fleet, seems to me not a bad idea. Might even be politically correct--if he could find just the right one.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I like my back up alarm....100HP cummis diesel in the bed with the exhaust pointed to the back. Guess if they can't hear that then they have a bigger issue than me backing up.

Oh and Mark Watch your mail there might be a new toy in the works that will comply with more than just the issue at hand.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very good point John, gives a person somthing to really think about. I'll have to do some investigating here in my state on the laws. We only installed them for commercial on site safety purposes. They were sold without, so Im asumming it is'nt law. I installed the switch's for my own purpose's:popcorn2
The law is one thing as far as DOT ticketing and fines are concerned. When it comes to civil liability thats completely differnt. Civil cases are looking for responsibility, not necessarily conected to any broken laws.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Federal law requires a back-up alarm on construction vehicles that leave the public roadway. If you play on a construction site, then you are required to have an alarm. This is a construction site safety requirement that is independent of DOT and OSHA rules.

As for liability, if you squish someone by backing over them you will have many more problems than worry about whether you had an alarm.

As for the Michigan bill, call your legislator!!!!!! Most can be e-mailed and they will pay attention. This sort of thing typically results from some sort of catastrophe or close call. Maybe one of you Michigan guys should install one and plow the Senator's driveway at 2am? Might be worth the $40 to buy a nice loud one.

As for the admiral's fleet, seems to me not a bad idea. Might even be politically correct--if he could find just the right one.
I was thinking along the lines of a ships bell or whistle?

Air horns from a freighter would be awesome. lol

I like my back up alarm....100HP cummis diesel in the bed with the exhaust pointed to the back. Guess if they can't hear that then they have a bigger issue than me backing up.

:rolling :rolling

Oh and Mark Watch your mail there might be a new toy in the works that will comply with more than just the issue at hand.
Seriously, who is going to enforce it?

And a misdemeanor? Punishable by jail time?

Who is this idiot anyways?

·
Registered
96 Posts
As a long time plower here in the great state of Michigan, I can't believe these beepers are even being considered.

I can tell you right now that this would NEVER fly here in the Ann Arbor area. The city of Ann Arbor already has noise ordinances on the books that essentially make it illegal to plow overnight due to noise restrictions. I've spoken to the police about this and they confirm that they are enforcing this on plow trucks. "Tagged somewhere between 75-100" was the direct quote from the officer I spoke to. He even said that it had been challenged in court due to some vague wording in the ordinance and the plow guy lost.

I seriously have people complaining about the noise our SHOVELS make and now somehow I am gonna plow with a backup beeper?!? I don't even run warning beacons because people complain about those.

I love my job!

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
well i think in larger equipment where you can't see behind you it would be ok but in a pick up truck i think it is kinda silly . i put one in back of my box truck but i have it wired so i can shut it off if i leave early in the morning not to wake anyone.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts