Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 silverado with a meyer wiring harness including the DRL setup. I am trying to replace the lights with a 5 wire setup (high, low, marker, turn signal, ground). All the wires match up except the meyer has an extra blue wire that is a positive ground. I simply omitted it and the headlights do not come on. If I remember correctly the turn signal did work. I am thinking I need to add an extra wire to negative ground the signal and marker and use the blue positive ground for the headlights. That would give me 6 wires into the light. Is there any other way to make this hook up work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hooked up all five wires from the light to the corresponding ones from truck (different colors of course but I had traced them down to find what went where). But Truck side had a blue wire that is a common positive ground per Smith Brothers Meyer Plow changeover module info. Apparently, the headlights (high and low) are fed power via the blue wire and the other wires actually complete the ground circuit thru the switch basically backwards from what you would expect. But the turn and marker lights need the black wire for negative and they are fed thru the normal wires. I am trying to find out if anyone has found a simple way to fix this. All I can think of is to go into the new light and separate the ground wires for the headlights from the turn/marker lights so one is positive ground and one is negative ground.I would need to add a sixth wire then so both sides had grounds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got this from Chuck at Smith Brothers so it looks like I am on the right track

Mark,

You picked a good one. They are positive ground lights on the truck, which
is the reason for the blue wire. It could be power, could be ground, it
mimics the truck. 94 - 02 Dodge, and 99-02 GM trucks are the only positive
ground systems. The plow lights you got are internally wired to use the
ground for the headlight and marker/turn bulb. You would have to separate
the ground wire from the headlight, but also make sure it is insulated from
ground, because the "ground" is going to be hot, not ground. The lights
won't work if it is not connected properly.

Look inside the Nite Saber light and see how it is wired, match it in the
new light.

___
Chuck Smith
Smith Brothers Services, LLC
3212 State Route 94 STE 9
Franklin, NJ 07416
(973) 209-PLOW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts