Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2009 Sierra 2500 and a Western 8’ plow that’s @ 10 years old.....I was having problems with my controller basically needing to push the on off button multiple times to get it to turn on....I sent it to an outfit in WI that reconditioning the board and cleaned it all out....the repair man suggest I replace the battery solenoid because he said they should be replaced every 5 years or so and they can short out the controller if they get too old....looking in my engine compartment I see I have 2 solenoids one next to the battery mounted on the side of the engine compartment and another one attached to the firewall.... I’m assuming I need to replace the solenoid next to the battery and not the one on the firewall.....has anyone replaced their solenoid lately in a truck like mine and lastly I thought solenoids either work or fail with nothing much in between....thanks in advance for any information to help me reply the right solenoid.....

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hello,
I have a 2009 Sierra 2500 and a Western 8’ plow that’s @ 10 years old.....I was having problems with my controller basically needing to push the on off button multiple times to get it to turn on....I sent it to an outfit in WI that reconditioning the board and cleaned it all out....the repair man suggest I replace the battery solenoid because he said they should be replaced every 5 years or so and they can short out the controller if they get too old....
Replacing every 5 years isn't a bad practice - they are cheap and common to fail. That said, while I won't declare it flat out impossible, bad solenoids don't damage controllers. Other shorts can and I guess a short to the point that the solenoid melted could...

looking in my engine compartment I see I have 2 solenoids one next to the battery mounted on the side of the engine compartment and another one attached to the firewall.... I’m assuming I need to replace the solenoid next to the battery and not the one on the firewall.....
Follow the 2 pin plow power/ground cable red wire from the plug backwards. It will only go to one of those solenoids. That is the one you are concerned with. What the other solenoid is for, I have no idea. But it would have nothing to do with the plow. You must have some other accessory (like a spreader) installed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for your help...I expect to receive my controller and new solenoid today in the mail...if it all works as it should a big shout out to M C Green sales and service for saving me the cost of a new controller and very fast reliable service....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts