Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 89 f-350 with a 7.3 is in need of a new engine. i was thinking of going with a jasper reman.

any of you guys have any experience with them?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Ive never bought a Jasper diesel reman,but have put in a lot of gassers,all have been good.A freind lost a dodge/gasser jasper trans within 100 miles of having it installed.They made good on it,but it was down a while waiting for another trans.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
While Jasper is an excellent remanufacturer,it'd be leary of any rebuilt 7.3L

Just curious Paul,is this the same truck we discussed a while ago ?

Did it turn out to be a cylinder wall problem ?

With any remanufactured 7.3L I'd be concerned about cylinder wall thickness.If you get a block that is weak to begin with,it won't last long.I do not know if Jasper does sonic testing on their blocks before rebuild.A problem like that may not show up until a year or so down the road.

Depending on how bad yours is,you may just be better to sleeve that bad cylinder,and have the others checked for wall thickness.Sleeve any others in question.If the motor was healthy other than that,it won't cost too much to go over it and freshen it up.At least you know what you have then,and it will last.

Don't forget,whatever you do,is keep up with checking and testing the coolant.Motorcraft FW-15 coolant conditioner is what you need.Take it to a heavy truck shop,they will now what to check.Most small garages and dealers don't know how.

If you need more info,just let me know,or give me a call.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John, thanks for the info

Chris, Yes same truck we were talking about.

I pulled all the glow plugs and could'nt see any "clean ones" ,so i was going to pull the heads off.

I got it running again (to take down to my buddies shop) and noticed that nice "silver" film in the oil, so i know the bearings have had it.

I guess it ran too long with water in the oil, before i caught it.

My buddy installs quite a few jasper gas engines, and he says thier great, but has never installed any of thier diesels.

I've gone to thier site, and i was quite impressed with thier policies, check it out.

www.jasperengines.com

I'm stuck without this truck for snow, so i either go buy a new one, or i fix this one.

I just cant see cleaning snow with a brand new truck.

Paul

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Well,if you decide to keep it,yank the motor and take a look at it.Pull the pan,and take a look at the crank and bearings.It may not be hurt too bad.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
The only problem with a new PSD is he has an indirect mechanical 7.3 not a PSD.Id stick to a mechanical setup to keep things simple. Its getting hard to find good used 7.3IDI /6.9's now.If hes going to do a swap,might as well fix the problem,and drop in used Cummins,id take a cared for used 6BT 12V cummins over a brand new PSD anyday.:D .

·
Registered
48 Posts
does Ford have a reman engine?I always find factory crate engines best.how much is a new one compared to rebuilt?If your gonna keep the truck do the job right from the beginning and solve your down the road problems.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
There is a big difference between a reman and a crate engine.A reman is rebuilt,or remanufactured,and most crate engines are new.

That said,never buy a Ford reman,at least not in Canada.They are rebuilt by a company called CPL,which is a mass rebuilder,and te QC is terrible.I used to install them all the time when i worked at a Ford dealer.Talk about comebacks ! If they use CPL,or Central Precision Limited in the US,STAY AWAY.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
jasper

Paul

I have been threw jaspers facility on a tour it is a first rate operation and Chris they do sonic testing on all core motors if i remember right they discard close to 35% of the core returns they take in . Has far has the diesel remans and jasper go i cant say i have seen or heard a jasper diesel install or run around here big diff between reman gaser and reman diesel, i would personaly look into a IHC reman myself or have a qualifed mach shop or diesel shop rebuild yours if you felt more comfortable with that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts