Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have two skid loaders we plow with, they are added on my insurance (liability, property damage & theft, etc.). We do not need to have them insured (for over the road") or registered because they are used to plow private developments (HOA's). As my business has grown I now see I really am going to have to buy a loader/pusher setup.
We currently have one area were we plow/salt aprox. 4 acres, .right across street from each other, another 1 +/- aprox 1/2 mile down road not really an issue here without registering I don't think. My question is this, at what point do you consider it worth it to put on "over the road" insurance & register for plates? Ball park of what it will cost, at least vs. truck?
The other thing I have seen lately is companies leaving older trucks on sites with out plates, how does this work out? If I plow with equipment it (damage to clients property) is covered by my business policy, but if damage is done by truck it is covered by my commercial auto. I would assume the unregistered trucks are covered under business policy...seems like a kind of grey area to me. With commercial auto insurance comming in at $ 2500/yr/truck, it may be worth looking into?
Any imput?

·
Registered
372 Posts
One thing to concider is local zoning laws. A lot of places your not allowed to have an unregistered vehical sitting in a drive or lot.

As for auto insurance, as far as I know you need to have plates, inspection, registration to even get it insured.

I'd hate to see some idiot run into your truck or a driver hit another car & not have the proper insurance. big $$$ & fines then..

Equipment is diffrent.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm talking about at commercial lots (private property), plates shouldn't be an issue (commercial zoning).

As for auto insurance, as far as I know you need to have plates, inspection, registration to even get it insured.
It's accually the opposite, no insurance=no plates. I don't know if there is a distinction between equipment-trucks, they would be performing same task, on prirte property, if I was going over the road to another site I understand what you're saying. I do understand what you're saying about damage to truck(no collision).

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
How do you register a backhoe /loader in MA? Is it like a truck by the weight or do they just give it a set rate? If you have had a machine unregistered then wanted to put it on the road would you have to pay for back sales tax?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have no clue about MA but it would make sence by the weight.
Mini loader VS big 4x4 one...
Not sure about the sales tax issue but don't you pay the sales tax in a lump payment when you buy the thing?
Here on a vehical you pay the sales tax to the DMV when you receive the new title.
As far as a registration fee, you wouldnt have to pay for the years it was unregistered. Just think about all thoes salvage, classics that get restored.

Plate #/letters go on you insurance & registration cards...
No insurance your plates arnt valid & they suspend you licence, untill you turn them into the DMV.
not sure what exactly comes first... lol
but either way they all go together.
Had the DMV send me out a latter about that when my old company screwed up & caused a lapse for a few days.

Only thing I could suggest is call up the DMV or insurance guy & ask just to be safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts