Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted this a different site and I did not get all the information I was looking for

My rig is a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with a 7'6" Western Pro Plow with a western 500 salt spreader

I use this to only do my Companies lot and some rental properties I own.

Some of the things I am looking for

1-I was wondering if there is a set of adjustable air bags for the front of this truck,I have adjusted my torsion bars to raise the front back up slightly when the plows on but I would like to be able to level it out more.

2-I am looking for an on line place to purchase one of the variable speed controllers for my spreader.

3-I am looking to see if there are adjustable wings or Shields for the spreader both the 2&3 request are to be able to better control the flow or spread of salt.This unit really fling's the material.But the problem is when I am salting my loading docks I am afraid I am wasting material and getting it on my lawn

4-I am also looking for a Wing to put on the sides of the plow.Something that is light in weight and once installed easy to get on and off.I don't need the wings to add extra width but I want them to act more as a pusher or scoop.I have some real long pushes in one gate then out the other I would save myself allot of time if I could scoop it out. Originally I was going to get a V set up to use as a scoop and decided against it because of the added weight and expense.

5- never knew there was a special back blade cutting edge.Do they work?do you advise for them.I have a a bit of an area that I have to back blade away from the building's fire zones and Some time my plow just never bites in it seems to just get up on top of the snow.One area by the loading docks actually have gravel for the first 15 or 20 feet away from the building will the back blade edge be a mistake to use in this area

6-lastly anybody know of a good light upgrade for my wester light or better bulbs.They are OK But I wish I had a tad more brightness or a better spread to light up an area.I have a set of kc rear flood that I love they just light up the rear of the truck perfectly Just wondering what you guys think on this

Also any suggestions or links to where I might find this stuff

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I'd recommend a set of Timbrens over airbags to help the front suspension.They are easy to install,cheap,and never wear out.

The variable speed controller should solve your spread pattern problems,as now you have the adjustabilty you need.

If you want wings that don't add width,but will hold a lot of snow,then a set of Turk-key wings,or Power scoops are what you want.

You could also add a back drag blade,which hangs off the back of the blade,to help it scrape better.Not sure where you would get one,but a welding place could fab one up for you.

The best upgrade for your plow lights would be to get a good set of High output\High Visability Glass sealed beams.They throw out a lot more light.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I agree that Timbrens would be the best solution, a little cranking of the torsion bars would be ok, but don't try to get more than an inch from them.

Try Angelos-supplies for the variable speed controller. You may be able to find one cheaper on eBay.

I'm not sure if there are factory-type kits available, but you could always fab something up with some think sheet metal or abs plastic. I used a part of a rubber tailgate protector to deflect the salt away from my truck.

I have pro-Wings, they are great, but they are not the type of wing that you described, a set of Turk-key Wings or powerscoops. I don't know much about the powerscoops, but have heard that the turk-key wings are awesome at containing snow, if you need to pile all the snow in a designated area.

The only problem with a backdrag edge on a regular front plow, is that the Western A frames aren't all that strong around the pivot point, they can break if the BD edge were to become caught on something.

You can get Sylvania Cool Blues, they are a bit brighter, I haven't tried the sealed beam versions though. I'm not sure if they are available in the right size, but the Silverstars are probably the best light in non-HID form. You may have to do a little terminal resoldering, but it would be well worth the modification, so that a more common replacement bulb could be used.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys

On the scoops I am going to contact the 2 different style you have recomended.I just want to hear how they handel a trip situation if I hit something and how easey it is to get on ond off.

I have bad knees so I can not carry anything heavey.

I also will try angelos for my controller

As for the timbrens .What are they and how do they work.Is it jus a heavey rubber that the load sits on?

I spoke to a fellow who makes back drag blades out of angel iron and then bolts it to the back side of the front blade cuts the front bolted side shorter then the back side.He explained its no good for gravel he says it realley pulls it self down and in when back dragging and when you catch something it doesnt ride over it it will actually pull the plow off the front of the truck.He is in the works trying to design one with a rubber edge that not as agressive and more forgiving

Thanks for your suggestion I appreceate the time and the sheild my dad used to have an old spear in a dump body that had a cable that (was allways frozen) but from the cab I could close up how far the spread of salt was and then another cable to close up how much material I was feeding the spinner.

But I think being able to adjust the motor might be enough to fix what I need it for

Thanks Again

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke to Rojer at tur-key and have decided to go with his product they are being shipped on Monday I will update you guys on how they work.

Hopefully I will have them on by the next storm.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The adjustable "wings" for the spreader are availible from Fisher/Western, Trynex also has a set, it's a long piece of plastic with 2 S/S rods that hook into a muti-hole mount that bolts to the bottom of the spreader. You discard the metal or plastic piece behind the spreader spinner. You can narrow down the spread pattern to a couple of feet or direct the spread left or right; Left works better then right because the spinner turns C clockwise.

Check with your dealer

Bill

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the input

1-I was wondering if there is a set of adjustable air bags

I ended up getting a set of timbrens Ill see how it works when I put the plow back on

2-I am looking for an on line place to purchase one of the variable speed controllers for my spreader.

I ended up bidding on one on ebay lost the auction by only 5 cents after losing the auction I went to the guy I purchased my spreader from and got one from him that day.

3-I am looking to see if there are adjustable wings or Shields
I may not needs this with the varitable speed controller

4-I am also looking for a Wing to put on the sides .

I purchased a set of turkey wings I will keep you posted on how they work

5- never knew there was a special back blade cutting edge.

I am not doing anything yet on a back blade

6-lastly anybody know of a good light upgrade for my wester light or better bulbs.

My truck is going in for an autostarter to be installed on the 16th and the place who is installing it says he has a nice suprize for me with lighting upgraded bulbs so Ill see what he has in mind. I also just seen a photo of a truck on this forum with a set of flood lamps mounted low but pointing out to the sides that may also be a choice to better light up the work area. For some reason it always seems the bulk of my plowing is done at night and then I just am doing clean up and salting during the daylight

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INPUT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts