Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was tired of guessing all thing like, "Where was the Pole" or "I the auger too fast"? So After looking at a few different systems I ended up with this.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Does that screen say, objects are closer than they appear ??

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Let us know how it works. I have thought about something like it. Hate not being able to see behind the spreader.

Good luck with it.

Tileman

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have used it during salting already and it works great. Can see alot to the rear and can see the feed and spread rate great. Now I can use my side mirrors to look for obsticles and not looking to the salt spreading. As with any camera there is not depth perception but you can at least see when there is something back there.

I do love the center discharge too. One run in the direction of travel for each traffic lane is perfect. Leaves a nice over lap in the middle and does not salt blast the cars, sidewalk, or grass on either side. I have cut my salting time down and reduced amount of product.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Ron What brand of camera is it and where did you get it? Is it like the regular backup cams you see on the trash trucks?

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The brand it S A V V you can find them on E-bay. $400.00 all total can the install about 30 min, just had to fab a mount. Like the garbage trucks but alot smaller both in the camera unit and the monitor.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
During a storm if it is really wet from time to time. Usually when I get out to check the load I would wipe it off. Maybe two or three times during the night, no big deal really.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you look hard you can see it is on, you can see the spinner on the lower right corner. It is brighter than than when you are inthe cab. I will try some pictures at night. The Camera kept changing focus when the light from the monitor came on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Ron,

Do you think that this camera could be used with a pull plow to better guage the distance to walls, etc.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure where you would mount the camera to clear the pull blade but with some time you could make it work. Maybe mount the camera on the rear of the cab and remove the tailgate? The angles the camera pick up is awesome like 130 left and right and 270 top to bottom.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
That camera must be great in the summer when your connecting a trailer :)

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Motorhomes

Motorhomes have had these cameras for some time now . Most of the screens have calibrated increments for distance from the rear bumper ,but this would be tough utilize and to mount unless it was at the top of a spreader (most point downward) . I think they would be great for general viewing of the area behind you .

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bwhite,

Yes, general viewing, and like I mentioned nice to see the spinner and feed rate and use the side mirror to actually see things other than looking for the salt pattern.

Cat,

I hope it help with the trailed hook up too. Hard to see inthe pic but right not I have a mud flap covering the trailer rec'r for obvious reason, but I am sure I will be able to see the ball and hook up when I change out for summer.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
looks good but it seems you would possibly have a problem with snow/slush getting all over the cam and obstructing the view...

·
Registered
6,272 Posts

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
No problem JD glad i could help

1 - 20 of 39 Posts