Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know none of the above products will increase the load capacity when hauling large loads in the rear of a 1 ton truck. What product do you think works the best in handling heavy loads. For example my 1 ton truck can haul approx. 3500lbs in the bed. Yes there are times when I am overloaded and carry almost 4500lbs. What product do you think would work best for helping level out the load? I know running overloaded is not safe, but it's normally only for a few miles at a time.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
If you want to level out the truck so it looks like its not overloaded,then air bags are the way to go, IMO. timbrens wont help you until the suspension is down quite a bit thru the travel.A lot of guys do the air bags do the cruise past DOT with a level truck,which is much less likely to get pulled over than one squating down. Timbrens do help,and they are simple,cheap and no maintenance.i have both,and preffer the air bags even though they cost more.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess if I am going to install air bags with a on board compressor, do you think I should just install air bags on the fronts and rear, instead of using the Timbrens in the front only? I have Timbrens on my current F350 and I like them, that is why I considered them for the rear. If the truck will still squat quite a bit with Timbrens in the rear, what purpose do they serve for guys using them in the rear of their trucks with slide-in campers?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The Timbrens would be better for the front.You don't really need to level the front out much.The Timbrens are also trouble free,and they last forever.

The truck will still squat some with Timbrens in the rear,as they are progressive,so as you put more load on them,they compress,and get stiffer.With a camper,your heavily loaded,so the Timbrens will be in full contact with the axle,and helping to support the load.

Another reason to go with airbags in the rear,is the adjustability.The back end of the truck tends to be much more sensitive to spring rates than the front.Adding stiffer springs,or Timbrens increase the effective spring rate,and the truck rides much stiffer,and will hop around on washboard surfaces.The airbags can be dropped to 5 psi (they won't increase spring rate at that low pressure) so they do not affect the ride.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chris. Is one brand prefered over the other? What is your thoughts on the on board compressors? I guess if I had a on board air compressor I could add a set of air horns hidden in the grill? I wonder if I could hook the air horns up to the factory horn on my truck. That setup should make people get out of my way in a hurry.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I like the Firestone bags the best.Most of the ones we install do not use a compressor.We just add a schrader valve in the fuel filler door,or on the rear bumper to adjust the bags.Simple and easy.

If you want an onboard air setup,get a good Thomas compressor,and a small air tank.The little compressors that are available with the airbag kits are pretty wimpy.

·
Registered
333 Posts
the timbrens work well there on the front and back of this sand toy with a full load of wet leaves in the box.i put the plow on to show how the truck hardly sags. plus i had snow on my mind and wanted to post pics of the baby with the western lol

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
On our one ton dumps we installed two additional leaf springs to carry our heavier loads a little better. We use timbrens on the fronts for the plows as Chris described. My brother in law uses air bags on his pick up for when he pulls his trailer. I would think that if the truck is a daily driver and only sees the occasional heavy load then air bags make sense. If you were consistently carrying a heavier load (dump truck) then springs might be more durable and would not require the maintenance that air bags and a compressor might require. I don't know much about air bags since I haven't owned them, just seen them in action.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a FULL set of Timbrens ordered for my F-350 (pictured) I have used the Timbren's in the past and have liked the results very much. I already have 2 extra leaf springs in the front to support the extra plow weight but since i have gotten the new sander (Warren {pics soon to come}) i wanted to ensure that the rear end would not sag and would support the weight of the sander fully loaded. Jon:drinkup

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes get the airbags for the rear, I got the airlift superduty and running 50psi for the 600pounds of sand in the rear and no sag and rides good. Install was 2hours in the garage easy and I mounted the air lines in the rear bummper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts