Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
radiator problem

need help on this one? i have a 1980 chevy 1 ton , redid entire truck over meaning they put a 1984 front clip and all new sheet metal, the problem is when they did this, they changed the radiator,been through this with wyldman, before, some place else!! new rad did not have nipple comming out of rad for heater core so i ran one hose from intake like it always was to heater core and ran bottm hose from core back into water pump!! every thing fine , good heat, temp good after plowing for 12 hrs, the problem is ,I noticed the the right side tank, where trans cooling lines are is not getting hot , dont under stand this, even lower rad hose is cool, seems strange to me since every thing is working fine?? yes i do have aux trans cooler, also what is the average temp trans fluid should be when your plowing thinking about puting temp guage for trans, when i figure out rad problem thanks, Campi!!! Sorry for long post!!!!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Your problem is it's working well,very well.

The coolant enters the radiator on the drivers side,and flows across the rad to be cooled.In cold weather,the coolant (and the rad),will be cold when it gets to the pass side,along with the lower hose.It is normal,and tells you the rad is working well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
radiator problem

as always, Chris I have to thank you, I was a little concerned about this cooling thing, i am glad to hear its supposed to work this way!! Its people like you that make this site what it is ( the best) the best thing i ever did join tis site, because as you know if you take your truck, car to some mechanics you could wind up getting beat big time, their are some that are not so honest, and charge for something that was not wrong to start with!!! one more thing what should trans temp be when plowing??? Thanks again Campi!!! (joe):salute :waving

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Tranny temps will vary between not reading on the gauge and 240 or so,depending on where the sender is mounted,how good you coolers are,and how hard your pushing the truck..Anything above 240,and it's too hot,and doing damage.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
trans temp

wyldman, you stated 240 degrees is max temp for trans, you said it would depend on location where you hook up guage, how about if i instaled T fitting in trans line the bottom line from trans was the hottest line going back to rad , put mechanical guage there?? would this location give pretty acurate reading??? thanks again Campi!!!!!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
If you tee into the hot cooler line,you will see the hottest trans temps,and a lot more fluctuation.

Adding a sending unit to the pan will give you more average temps,and a lot less fluctuation.

The choice is up to you.While the cooler line temp is more fun to watch,it's also harder to keep track of,as temps don't stay quite as steady.I prefer the pan,as the temps will stay pretty consistant,and if you see the gauge reporting something drastically different,you know you have a problem.The pan is also must easier to mount a sender into.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts