Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i decided to buy a new 04 f-350, instead of fixing my '89.

i would like to get a supercab with an 8' bed, but you can only get the snow-plow prep with the 6 3/4' bed.

would plowing without the prep package void the warranty?

i guess it would be too much weight on the front axle, but with the 6 3/4' bed, after i put my diesel tank and toolbox, i would have about 3' left.

decisons, decisons.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Paul,

Talk to your dealer. That's what I did and they agreed to honor any warranty issues. There were none anyway:D

If you don't have a favorite dealer, try to find one that specializes in selling work trucks to contractors(like mine). They realize what people who work their trucks do and are usually a little more lenient:D

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg, thanks for the reply.

i've also heard the reverse side of that, where the dealer says "yeah, yeah, no problem", and then something happens, and your told you were'nt supposed to do that.

so if anything i would want something in writing, from ford.

by the way, this truck will have a diesel in it, which is part of the problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I talked with my dealer b4 I got my truck and he said diesel and plow will void warranty so I opted for the V-10. He said the weight was the problem, even with the new 6.0. I have read a ton of posts here and there are a ton of opions, I guess I'm not sure what is true cause everyone ultimately said to make sure you have some sort of deal worked out with the dealer where the truck was bought. Mine would do no such thing:headwall , all warranties go through Ford. Oh well, posted pic, I LOVE the truck.

Best of luck with your decision !!

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
paulsoccodato said:
Greg, thanks for the reply.

i've also heard the reverse side of that, where the dealer says "yeah, yeah, no problem", and then something happens, and your told you were'nt supposed to do that.

so if anything i would want something in writing, from ford.

by the way, this truck will have a diesel in it, which is part of the problem.
No problem Paul,

I wouldn't hold my breath on something in writing from Ford:eek: It will never happen:headwall

I guess you just have to trust your dealer:beatsme

I did actually have a warranty issue now that I think of it. My 250 came with "U" code front spings. The front end sagged before I ever installed the plow. After I installed the plow, I went to the dealer to have "X" springs installed. To thier word, they installed them under warranty, no charge to me:drinkup

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I've got a '03 crew cab short bed with a 7.3 diesel. Mine has X (6000#) springs in the front, but is rated to 5200. I scaled it last night with 1000# ballast at the tailgate and got 5500 front, 4000 rear. I think the scale was off, though- it added up to 9300... I'll have to try it again when there's not a couple inches of snow on the scale and there's a competent operator at the fuel desk. You wouldn't think running a scale is that tough, would you? I think without the snow on the scale and the snow that I later noticed was packed in the blade, It'll scale under front axle weight rating. IF they notice the plow AND realize it's not supposed to have one, the repair would have to be related to plowing for them to deny coverage. They are also required to prove that the plow caused the damage/ breakage/ failure. If your ball joints or steering compoents fail, don't plan on warranty coverage. However, if I can get my rig to scale under FAWR, I wouldn't hesitate to pursue warranty coverage on anything- it is being used within its rated capacities. (Let's just hope the service writer doesn't realize the loads generated by stacking 6" of wet snow!!)

That said, my truck sags a little more than I would like, and bounces a little, so I'll probably add a set of timbrens... I know, know- all the skepticism... then a convert. $135- can't go wrong, I guess.

Buy the truck you want/ need and put a plow on it!!

BTW- a crew/short (mine) is alot of truck to get into some areas, so if you don't NEED the long bed, a shorter wheelbase is much more manageable while plowing in tight areas.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a '99 F350 without the snow prep package. I put an extra leaf in the front to handle the weight. The other thing I did, was had the dealer install the plow. They told me that the plow would not void the warranty and it was them who installed it. With Fisher anyway, they will not install a plow on a truck without the plow package. The front springs with the extra leaf hold the 8' Fisher with less than 1/2" of movement when lifted. The spring company said it would add 1200lbs to front end.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
If you are ordering it and going with the 6.0 PSD, get the X coded springs, and like they others said, have the dealer do the up lift for the plow. They do it all the time on new trucks. Then there is no way they can get out of the warranty. That is how they sold you the truck. They put plow in any 4x4 they can get there hands on in the winter to move trucks. How many time have you seen a 7.5 plow on a new 1/2 ton truck sitting on the lot with a sticker in the window, you think they tell the guy buy that truck, thanks for the 30,000 oh by the way no warranty.

I put the Timbren on the front and rear of my F-450 4X4 Super Duty with the 8.5 MVP (now wishing I had known more about the 8611 a the time) and the truck running level with the plow up and just a slight sag with 4.5 tons of salt in the dump. They wre worth the 325.00 for the set, in stead of putting the extra leaf. Nice thing is the ride empty hardly changed, well at least on flat surfaces, you can feel it firm up over big bumps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts