Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved up in the mountains of western Washington and have already purchased a 2013 chevy express awd that I am building out as a camper but will be utilizing for multiple purposes. I just bought a bull bar bumper with front 2" receiver mount so I am thinking about getting a plow, as I expect this winter will be intense and we are essentially on our own.

Im curious if anyone knows if the awd will be able to withstand some plowing? I won't be plowing alot(I think) or far but unfortunately we get heavy snow and storms can be strong with several feet of snow.

Also chains for the van but the tire size 245/70R17 doesn't seem to have much selection which is making me reconsider switching out my other vehicle for a truck more apt for plowing.

Any help or insight is much appreciated.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Where do you like to go camping do you stay in a pay camp grounds or do you like to go into the back country ?
a pick up truck will be a better choice than the all wheel drive system on your van.

What is your average snowfall what type of road and what condition is your road and or driveway that you will be plowing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@WalterFGBS Its a AWD chevy express 1500 small block V8. What would a full sized plow be?

@SnoFarmer I wont be using this for camping but at my house. I have no idea on the average snowfall because this is our first year living here.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
@WalterFGBS Its a AWD chevy express 1500 small block V8. What would a full sized plow be?
I would call any plow that isn’t one of those ultra lightweight receiver mount units a full sized plow. Meyers, fisher, boss, blizzard, sno-way and so on make them. The bigger problem is figuring out if anyone will mount a plow to your van. They aren’t specifically mention and that could mean dealers won’t touch your vehicle because it may not be covered by the factory warranty since it isn’t installed on a recommended vehicle.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The National Weather Service will give you snow totals & averages over the years for your location .

Plus if you wish to use this van for camping your plow frame is going to limit where you can go

·
Registered
677 Posts
Ps Thoeslittle light weight & cheap plows are great if you got a put them in front of it Suzuki tracker but if you go to put one on a heavy van you’re going to bend it into a pretzel in no time.

Jmo

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The National Weather Service will give you snow totals & averages over the years for your location .

Plus if you wish to use this van for camping your plow frame is going to limit where you can go
he can get a brush guard that fits his plow frame for certain makes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses. Ill measure my ground clearance and post pics of the front, although I have my stock bumper off at the moment and need to put my new one on. I know it has similar clearance to my xterra and I was able to offroad it pretty well crossing the washington/idaho state border on a remote FS roads. Also have driven through 8-10" of snow no problem in eastern washington :). I was not able to pull historical information for my area from noaa... From my experience in washington it varies wildly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts