Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to do some research on a ¾ or 1 ton truck and was talking to a colleague about looking into a Ford for plowing. He said he would stay away from the Fords with straight front axles. He said "because they don’t have independent front suspension, you lose the load you are pushing when one side of the truck goes up a bank or curb and the snow falls underneath the plow". Is this for real? Do you agree with this?

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
as long as your plow is in the floating position you wont loss your load i highly recamend a full front axle less things to go wrong and highly derabule, even though i totaly hate fords id get a full front axle. the only passiable way to loss a load like that is if one side of the truck is on a 70% incline and the other is on a 0% but that wount happen.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have two fords (F-250/F-350) I like the F-350 with a staight front axle! With true 4 wheel drive this will make no differance!
The only thing I thing you need is lock in hubs! (auto hubs sucks)
Think of an auto tran to! Plowing with 5 speed to me is hard! Think of lift kits (staight less to lift) But if ask me Ford is the only one that makes a truck! The rest are just cars with a bed.

ps. I'm just an Ford Man!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
That's crap.

A straight axle is the way to go.Strength and durability,and it will have no problem carrying a heavy plow.

·
Registered
309 Posts
GeeMC said:
Starting to do some research on a ¾ or 1 ton truck and was talking to a colleague about looking into a Ford for plowing. He said he would stay away from the Fords with straight front axles. He said "because they don’t have independent front suspension, you lose the load you are pushing when one side of the truck goes up a bank or curb and the snow falls underneath the plow". Is this for real? Do you agree with this?

Thanks,

Bruce
Bruce,

I recommend you help get your "colleague" into a rehab program so he can get off the crack he is smoking:eek: :scramble omg

·
Registered
309 Posts
Bruce,

Ask him this;

In the scenerio you are describing, if one side of the truck goes up a bank or curb, and the truck stays level(which is what I think he is getting at), That means the plow will be level also. Unless you are trying to regrade, or cut into the bank, I don't think that's a very good idea:confused:

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Stay away from straight front axles???

That's exactly why I buy Fords!!!

Solid axle, leaf springs. Look under any heavy truck, what do you see?

Thanks for the chuckle, GeeMC!

I hope your not too close with your buddy!

·
Registered
333 Posts
thats the biggest load of crap ever

doesn't matter what front end you got if you go up on an incline on one side your going to lose some of your load.

thats why western came out with the ultra mount system.the plow moves side to side.one of my parking lots has a rasied loading dock area.its 3 ft higher than the whole lot and i can float over most of it since shes sloped on both sides.comes out pretty clean too

·
Registered
447 Posts
Crack

I second the crack theory. A straight axel is the way to have it. If you have an f250 that is older than '99, you don't want that axel either..but thats a whole different animal. I would vote straight axel. IFS is good for the ride, and some hold up for plowing, but they are not the optimal setup.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'll gladly sell you my '97 Ford with the IFS so I can get myself into a Ford WITH a straight front axel.

-Tim

PS: I third the crack theory!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good, that was the response(s) I was looking for. :p Silly me for even bringing up that stupid question! He's going into re-hab tomorrow. :D

Thanks

·
Registered
610 Posts
wonder if his buddy has a twin beam f-250 for sale

another confused person put on the right track
johnomg omg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts