Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished hooking up a plow on a truck..

Hit any button but down and the pump runs and squeals.

To make sure it was not the wiring, I tried another truck and it does the same.

Has no angling, nor up. Fluid is full with lift ram all the way down.

I have not opened it or done anything else.

Where should I start, this is the first time I have ever had a pump or plow problem that wasn't a blown hose.

·
Registered
908 Posts
What type of pump do you have, Iscarmatic (red with lift cylinder part of unit) or a flostat (black with lift cyl seperate). If its a flostat, the pick up tube may have fallen off, you will need to drop the resivor to find out. if thats the case, do not reinstall pick up tube, return it to a dealer for a replacement (service bulletin SP-749).

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Latest solenoid electric. isomatic(sp)mkIII I think is what it is.

This one

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
LGF- Look for a bad ground. Mine did the same thing. I ended up finding a corroded connection in the harness, I replaced some of the wires (ground wires for solenoids) and it fixed the problem. I located them in the 9 pin harness, the connection was about 2" below the top horizontal bar, that the lift bar is bolted to. Check it out, run a jumper ground from the solenoid valves over to teh pump motor, it should work.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Mine did almost the same thing. I took the motor off and got to the pump and the screen on the pump was clooged up. Just flushed it out and works like new now.:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
If filter is not clogged when you check it, remove the pump from the bottom of the housing, 2 bolts only.
On the bottom is an o-ring seal for the pump to the housing.
This can also be a problem.

Bob

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Not nessesarily, it could just be the pump running, but nothing is happening in the valve body, causing the releif valve to open.

Does it make the same sound it would make if you tilted the blade all the way right, then help down the button for 'tilt right', where the blade cant angle anymore, but the motor makes that horrendous straining sound?

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup that's it, going to work on it Sat afternoon.

Makes the squeeling noise as if it were all the way to one side, but it does that hitting the button and the plow don't move.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Well, its 12:30 on Sunday morning, in Peoria, and in STL..... What'd you discover today?

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I let all the fluid out, took motor off to change the filter, but didn't feel like changing a clean filter, plus you have to take the pump out to to it. Put new gasket in, motor back on, filled with fluid, put plug back in, hooked to truck.

Well went to try it, same thing..... Went next door to get the mechanic there to take a look at it......

HIt the button again while he was standing there, hit it one more time, and it wroked..........I'll be damed he said, I fixed it by just looking at it.

So We think it was a stuck valave, and it unstuck it's self....

Anyways, needed the fluid changed.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'd be real carfull using the plow...
Just incase it gets "stuck" again...
If it's a main plow then I'd deffiantly have it checked out when ya get a chance... May never get stuck again... but if it does be prepared...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'd be careful as well. Sounds like the same symptoms as mine with the poor ground. Try to operate the plow while you are wiggling the harness on the plow. Mine was sporratic and sometimes, began to run fine after sitting, when other times it would not work for anything.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I had the motor off, I cleaned up the rust posative bolt, and the ground was clean, but I cleaned it anyways.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The grounds that failed on my plow were the ground wires for the valve solenoids. Pictured here:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
This is where i had to cut the harness loom to expose the corroded connection, I jut tapped it up, less water gets through the tape than that goofy loom stuff.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts