Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 8 1/2 MVP. It is on it's fourth season. The problem is the pump squeals sometimes. After I let off the control and try it again it doesn't do it.

I talk to my Western dealer, he said that it is a normal noise they make. I asked him if it's normal why didn't it make the noise when it was new? He had no answer to that. He did say that it might be some ice in the fluid and to put a couple of caps of dry gas in the unit.

What do you guys think?

Everett

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
A squealing pump usually indicates low oil. If your oil level checks OK, there may be some ice in the sump blocking oil flow to the pump. Before you add anything, the ice will have to be melted, dry gas mixes with the water and prevents it from freezing, but it doesn't melt ice.

Ideally, you should eliminate the water with a fluid change, but again the ice will need to be defrosted before doing the change. I'd pull the pump head off and let it rest on your boiler overnight, then drain and replace the oil. Keep an eye out for the water so you can verify whether this was your problem or not.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If there was the least bit of a chance that there was water in your system I would be servicing the plow if you haven't done so this year.
I would also be sure to use a quality low temp hydraulic fluid too.
You have six cartridge valves and quite a few check valves that could be effected my moisture or contaminates in the system, and there is always the posiblity that the filter on the pump is icing up too.
Yearly maintenance plays such an important part on these systems.
Also check your connections on the plow and truck side plugs as you may not be always getting full current to the cartridge valves.

:rolleyes: John...............

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fluid was change at the start of the season. I always change the fluid and service the plow before the season.

I also use synthetic atf in the pump. The hydraulic fluid you use. Is it a jack fluid or is it made by Western, Meyers. Is it made for the plow?

Everett

·
Registered
908 Posts
I know its hard to tell when you r behind the wheel where exactly the noise is coming from but i have seen some power units where the end cap bushing in the motor cover was dry and i couldnt figure out where it was coming from until i could get someone to run the plow while i listened out front. Just had to memove the 2 bolts holding the motor on and without moving the entire motor just removed the end cover, applied grease to the busing and reinstalled cover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts