Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my 8' minute mount 2 wont moveleft right or up down ive done about everythingi can think of. any ideas????:feedback

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Does the solenoid click ?

Check the grille connectors first,as a bad connection will cause the plow not to operate.Does the control power up ? Maybe a fuse ?

·
Registered
837 Posts
azumakitlawncare said:
Hey guys my 8' minute mount 2 wont moveleft right or up down ive done about everythingi can think of. any ideas????:feedback
What have you done? This would really help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive changed the fluid, checked the filter,both ok. then i changed the battery in truck still nothing,replaced solenoid on the firewallinside the truck. still nothing, then i placed jumpers from my battery to the pump,got sparks but no motor movement. Could the motor need replacing?? Its only 3years old and worked in the summer when i had to move it?Ive been told that its unlikely to be the solenoid on the pump because there are 3 with each doing a different action. How much would a new motor be? :feedback :huh

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The inline fuse will be in the control harness under the dash.Follow the wires to the power source (usually the fuse panel),and you should find an inline fuse.If the fuse is blown,the controller will seem dead.Does the controller light come on ?

Does the solenoid under the hood click when you try to operate the plow ? There is only one solenoid under the hood.then you have coils on the valve block on the pump to control the functions.

Let start with the basics,and see if we can at least get this motor to run.If you hear the solenoid clicking,then you can check and see if you have power at the pump motor.If you do,then the motor may be bad,or you may have a ground problem.Check your ground connections.If the ground is good,then you have a bad motor

If you can't hear the solenoid click,then check for power on the small control wires.You should have power (when you push a button on the control) on one wire,and a good ground on the other for the solenoid to work.If you have power and ground,then the solenoid is bad.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
OK,so now you want to check for power on at the solenoid control wire.It will be one of the small wires at the solenoid.It should have power when you try to lift or angle the plow with the control.The other wire should have a good ground.

If you have power and a good ground,then the solenoid is bad.If you don't have power at the solenoid when you try to move the plow with the control,then you have a control or wiring problem between the control and the solenoid.

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
azumakitlawncare said:
Ive changed the fluid, checked the filter,both ok. then i changed the battery in truck still nothing,replaced solenoid on the firewallinside the truck. still nothing, then i placed jumpers from my battery to the pump,got sparks but no motor movement. Could the motor need replacing?? Its only 3years old and worked in the summer when i had to move it?Ive been told that its unlikely to be the solenoid on the pump because there are 3 with each doing a different action. How much would a new motor be? :feedback :huh
No motor movement? And the solenoid has been replaced.....;)

~Chuck

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
azumakitlawncare said:
If you jumped the jumper cable directly to the plow pump motor from the battery,and just got sparks,the motor is dead.You can try tapping it with a hammer to get it going,but its going to have to be gone thru and cleaned up at the minimum.The only other thing could be a bad ground wire to the battery(but you had sparks at the + terminal),so that kind of rules itout.Or it is frozen,but you changed the fluid,so any water should be out now.It only takes 5-10 minutes to pull the motor out,take it to an auto electric store near you,my guy charges $65-80 to go thru and rebuild it.I used to have him do the fisher/westerns every 2 yrs because they set outside.
After the motor is back on and working,(by jumping it to test it)then you can find any other problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Thanks guys thats what i thought it was the motor. I also keep it outside. But i cant get the top off is it just the 2 bolts?? maybe its rusted on? And how much to just buy a new motor?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I'd be careful condeming a motor with that diagnosis.It takes quite a bit of current to run the motor,and you may not have had a good connection with the jumper.If the motor has been sitting,it will be even harder to get going the first few times,and you will get big sparks from the booster cable when you try and jump it.

You also mentioned the solenoid doesn't click.If the solenoid doesn't work,the motor won't work.

The motor comes off with the two bolts at the bottom.Don't pull the motor housing bolts (the smaller ones at the top),or you just pull the end plate off the motor.You can then take the motor to be tested\rebuilt.

For now,continue with the diagnosis I described above,to see if you can get the solenoid working.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
azumakitlawncare said:
Which one the one inside the truck? ive replaced that one?:
There is only one solenoid for the plow,mounted under the hood near the battery.

If you cannot hear that solenoid click when operating the plow,the motor will never run.

Test it by checking for power and ground to it like I described above.Just because you replaced it doesn't mean it will work.You could have a wiring problem,or a bad solenoid.You need to find out why.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Azumakitlawncare; Where in mass are you? Western? If not and you'd like pm me your Tel.# and whats a good time to call. I can prob. walk you through this in 10 mins.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
If it works fine with another plow,then the solenoid must be clicking,and working.Your problem is on the plow side then.

It probably would be easier to call him,or me,and go through it on the phone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry Guys

Sorry guys im talking to 10 guys at once I do have a click now that ive changed solenoid Im in eastern mass how do i pm? not only am i not a mechanic im an idiot on the computers

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
OK,we sorted it out on the phone.

As per our discussion,here are the links you can use.

Mechanics guide - click here

Parts manual - click here

Motor part number is 21500K.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts