Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to buy a pull plow for my 76 drives and my few lots.I'm wondering how well they work, i've done the research i just want to here from some guys that use them.On a let's say 6" snow fall how many times do you have to drag a standard drive 20'x40'?Do you have alot of leakage off the sides and have to drag it more than 3 times?Do you have to push the bottom of the drive off before you are able to back up the drive?I am looking at a 96" to mount on my 95 F250.Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Only con I can think of is having the truck 3' longer. If you use a Daniels or equivalent pull plow, expect a minimum of a 25% time savings. The big downside to the Daniels, Snomann, etc design is they have a single pivot point. This limits the length of the sides of the box. If you are handy with a welder, or have a fab shop around, I would highly recommend changing to a four link, parallel design. This allows the plow to lift straight up and lets you extend the sides greatly. I would recommend roughly 3'. This allows you to carry many times the amount of snow without spillage. If you do not extend the sides, figure 4-5 passes on a 20' x 40' drive at 6" snowfall. 3 passes with extended sides.

It will take as long, if not longer, for you to push the snow off the road than it will to clear the drive.

At the end of a run, in dry snow, you will not have a problem backing through it. In wet snow, you will want to lift the blade before you come to a complete stop. This will spread out the snow a little to allow you to back over it.

There is no need to clear the bottom before you start the rest.

If you are the operator, and if all your drives are wide like this, you could try one of those 16' back plows. Driveway must be concrete for these to work. asphalt drives are usually too crowned / rutted / wavy to use something that wide.

I currently run five trucks, all have back plows.

Out of curiosity, are you doing 78 drives with one truck? If so, how far apart are they spaced? Are they all 20'x40'? How long does it currently take you to do that many?

here is a link to a few pics of one of my trucks.

http://www.letstalksnow.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26052&highlight=homemade

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
If you are the operator, and if all your drives are wide like this, you could try one of those 16' back plows. Driveway must be concrete for these to work. asphalt drives are usually too crowned / rutted / wavy to use something that wide.
I've never had that problem with my Ebling.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the info ,my drives are all right together in one sub-division about a 1/2 to 3/4 mile stretch.On a 2-4 inche snow i can run thru them in about 3 hours.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
http://www.letstalksnow.com/forums/showpost.php?p=276352&postcount=65

If you want hard numbers.

I've basically never had a truck without one, so I don't have numbers to compare.

Not true as Chris said.

I run mine in parking lots with dips\drains\waves\etc. Works just fine.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You guys haven't seen many of the driveways around here:wink I have issues with 8' plows bridging ruts, crowns, etc. Most of the drives went in on new construction, low bid. After a few years, the heave and toss around so much you can't get a clean scrape with anything wider than a shovel. This is Illinois, home of the under the table, no license, no insurance contractors after all.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
You guys haven't seen many of the driveways around here:wink I have issues with 8' plows bridging ruts, crowns, etc. Most of the drives went in on new construction, low bid. After a few years, the heave and toss around so much you can't get a clean scrape with anything wider than a shovel. This is Illinois, home of the under the table, no license, no insurance contractors after all.
+1 The surfaces have to be reasonably flat. Do Eblings flex/ bend to follow the contours of surfaces that are not flat enough ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Our family firm has used pull plows on most all of our trucks since the early 1960's.
1. back in pull and and plow out - no time spent turning around in driveways and parking lot corners
2. down pressure (some set ups can raise the back of a truck off the ground)
3. generally scrapes more cleanly than back dragging, especially in wet packing snow.
4. remove the tailgate and you have very good visability - it seems that with out fail trucks w/o back plows damage their tailgates and rear corners
5. eliminates need for "ballast" it is ballast

No down side in my book.

I've seen many back blades over the last 40 years and Eblings are tops. In West Michigan we kind of do a double take when we see a contractor back dragging.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Thanks for all the info ,my drives are all right together in one sub-division about a 1/2 to 3/4 mile stretch.On a 2-4 inche snow i can run thru them in about 3 hours.
That's pretty quick for a front blade. If my math is correct that's about 2.5 minutes per drive. With an 8' backblade I would bet you could shave around 45min off your total time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been doing them for several years and have them down pretty good but some home owners do there on so it's on avg 70 drives.They are all concrete and are in good shape nice and flat .I use a 8' meyers and it does well i push the bottom twice then back drag the top down and push that.It cleans nice but i sometimes have to back drag them 4-5 times to get them clean so that is where i would save some time.I have priced the daniels but not any of the others.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well after the ice age we had this winter around here in Indiana i have had a few complaints about the drives being scraped up .What do the expect when you have 6 plus inches of ice.My question is with a pull plow will you scrap a concrete drive.I know you have down preasure .Do you just apply a small amount of preasure?Will that keep from scraping the drive or do you use poly edges.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Well after the ice age we had this winter around here in Indiana i have had a few complaints about the drives being scraped up .What do the expect when you have 6 plus inches of ice.My question is with a pull plow will you scrap a concrete drive.I know you have down preasure .Do you just apply a small amount of preasure?Will that keep from scraping the drive or do you use poly edges.
My daniels and Ebling will peel up hard pack as long as it hasn't iced up too much. I've never damaged a drive. It will scrape the topcoat on asphalt and maybe leave a little steel to rust on concrete but my customers expect that. Its in the contract that we aren't liable for damage to surfaces.

Not sure about poly. Would work well I assume.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Here is a dealer in Buffalo that sells the Plow Partner.

http://kaminskitruck.com/news.html

Living in Canada, I just don't understand how a Canadian company (Like Arctic) can sell their product for a lot less to the US market especially with the US/CDN dollar being even for a long time now.

Right now the Plow Partner costs (tax not inc)

$3300 CDN with no installation

$2195 US with Installation

Just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Probably thanx to the FTA :rolleyes:...... BRP is the same story, made here and exported south .... Doo-Doo's and Can-am's way cheaper south of the 49th .... :(hmmmmm

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have the plow partner. Have had it for 9 seasons and still works great. I'm the only guy around these parts that has one not sure why no-one else uses one. I look the looks of the galvanised unit.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts