Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a new Wide Out installed on my 2020 Silverado,,, all is fine, except I do not understand mhy the one connector on the truck side has no protective cover,,,, seems like it should, to protect it in the off season, when plow is not mounted. Two of the connectors have covers,, one does not.

Plow Plugs 2c.jpg

·
Registered
399 Posts
The wide out only uses 2 plugs. I assume that third one in the middle is the one for the GM over voltage fix. If that's the case, there is no cover for it. The socket was designed to mate with the lighting connector so you plug them into one another when not in use,

That said, do you have the LED lights on the plow? Cuz the lighting connector looks too big to be the standard halogen one. If thats the case, they will not mate and there is just no cover available for that third plug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my wideout has 3 connectors,, my dealer just said ,only 2 have covers,, they said nothing about plugging 2 plugs together,,,,,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK,,, I got a message form my installers,,, they said to plug the two control connectors together,,, others have said that also,,, the 3rd plug is the power/battery plug, it has large connectors in it,, pretty obvious when you look at it. Hopefully no one will turn on controller, and start pushing buttons,,,, not sure what would happen then,,,,must be safe. But all worked fine with the 2 plugs not plugged in,,,just the one had no protection from road grime,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Tahnks guys for all the help.....

Control Cables Truck side 1.jpg

·
Registered
399 Posts
With the 11 pin lighting plug disconnected from the plow, the controller won't turn on and the plugs are dead, so there is no danger

That 3 pin one isn't required for operation - it just goes to the alternator to prevent the voltage spike that shuts off the dash/radio/etc on some vehicles. It doesnt hurt to have it but The vast majority dont actually need it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A friend had that dead dash thing once in a while with his 2020 Silverado,, he put in a second battery,, not sure if that fixed the problem or not,, he did not have the "Plow"Package on his truck,,[ I have the PP ],, I am thinking about getting a second battery, but will wait and see how things work first,,,,,

·
Registered
399 Posts
The 2nd battery is supposedly very effective at fixing it. I imagine the harness is a much cheaper fix for GM though.
The plow prep package does not help at all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just talked to my friend,,, he has a Silverado with a Prodigy plow,,,, he says he really sees a drop when swinging all the way from right to left-left to right,,,,and sees a dash drop-out,,,, he only has a 2 plug install, and has 'not' installed the 2nd battery yet The Plow package, says it includes bigger suspension,, bigger alternator,,, and there was an electrical bag of stuff under the back seat , that the plow installer added to install,, I think that has to do with the 3rd [3 prong] plug,,, that helps with the dash-crash,,,,,maybe with that,, you do not need the 2nd battery ? The Western installer shop also installed yet another kit from GM , that they said was seen in a recent bulletin. I have not run my WideOut enough yet to see what is right or wrong with it,,,,it is a beast though,,,,

·
Registered
399 Posts
The problem actually comes from too much voltage, not a lack of. What happens is the HD alternator senses the demand for power from the plow and ramps up voltage to compensate. But then the plow shuts off a second later and the voltage spikes in the rest of the system. So the circuits shut off briefly as a protection measure.

The 2nd battery acts as a sponge to suck up the extra voltage, counter to what you'd expect

What the third plug does is connect the plow motor to the circuits on the alternator so the alternator knows the moment the plow shuts off, rather than waiting to detect the excess current first

With the 3rd plug, you should not need the second battery. I've heard that with the plug, occasionally the problem still occurs but it should be much less frequent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts