Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as therory and reserch has it salt works to the low temp of 5° F.

Also pre-wetting salt activates it before it hits the ground.

People use products such as Iceban to pre-wet with to lower the range in the temp salt/sodium chloride work, as with a recent discussion with some one, why couldn't we use diluted RV Anti-freeze in the pre-wet system to keep water from frezzing in order to pre-wet in mild temps? I have done some reserch on this, and "Glycol" has been used to pre-wet with, which is an ingrediant in regular anit-freeze.

I am installing pre-wet kits on v-boxes, and I guess my question would be, could using diluted RV anti-freeze in water just to keep the water from freezing, be used in a pre wet system for mild temps?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Are there any environmental considerations? Or is RV antifreeze for the drinking water lines in RV's for overwintering?

Salt's effective temperature before it becomes too costly to effectively be used for de-icing is about 18 to 20 degrees F. The eutectic temperature I believe for salt is -6F. I'm assuming the 5F temp you were working with was as a result of the Ice Ban.

I'd be interested in knowing at what temperature people switch to different prewet chemicals. What's the breakdown? I heard someone say they use salt brine down to 28F, and then switch to another and then another as the temps drop. Wonder what those chemicals are?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Is Ice-Ban the same as Magic? If not can the Ice-Ban be used directly on the surface to pre treat? The reason i am asking is there is a guy that had something to do w/ Ice-Ban near me and i can get it for 70 cents a gallon so i may buy some to try out.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK I got you on the same page as me.

Why I am looking at this, a cost stand point, each of these things will all melt snow, but the low point is where you have to switch products.

Magnesium Chloride

Potassium Chloride

Urea

Soduim Chloride

Casium Chloride

Glycol

Ice Ban

Beet juice

Etc..... All in a "brine" state.

As the temps get lower the product cost goes up.

All I am really looking at is the pre-wet activator for Sodium Chloride (rock salt) Water will work just fine, but I got to keep it from freezing.

Now as the temps drop, I will change to those others above.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why not make salt brine to use for pre-wetting???? You won't have to worry about freezing. When it's too cold for salt brine (low 20's) switch to calcium chloride for pre- wetting.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Salt brine is extremely corrosive, rust my spreader chute out in a season.

Trying to avoid that if possable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So the dry salt that you put in the hopper isn't corrosive???????? Hose out the chute after using salt brine and you will be fine.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I would think the glycol solution would be slippery when applied. I know the red stuff I use to winterize the plumbing of my boat feels slippery between your fingers. I've had good luck with MAGic treated salt working at low temps.

The MSDS I have for MAGic liquid lists IceBan, Magic, distillers solubles, as all the same product.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Lawngodfather said:
OK I got you on the same page as me.

Why I am looking at this, a cost stand point, each of these things will all melt snow, but the low point is where you have to switch products.

Urea

So who has tried pissing on a clients lot or "pre wetting" thier salt? :huh :grinz

There are lots of enviro friendly aintifreezes.....one that comes to mind and is prety cheap is the stuff they use in a directional bore to keep it from freezing. I dont think the man would like you hosing a glycol mix

1 - 9 of 9 Posts