Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever made one for a tailgate spreader? How about the goods and bads of this type of system? All it is, is a sprayer nozzle hitting the material coming off the spinner, right?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm using Caliber M2000 to prewet salt with a Trynex 1875 tailgate spreader. I have a tank to mount in the truck and was going to install a diaphragm pump and nozzle to spray the salt as in comes out the auger, but haven't got around to it yet as I'm having great results simply measuring and dumping the Caliber on the salt after it's in the hopper. I found the M2000 seems to act like penetrating oil and it travels thru the salt, and the design of the Trynex with it's feed auger also seems to mix the salt and any liquid that leeches to the bottom of the spreader. Because the Caliber is light brown and disappears when it's mixed with the salt I can't tell how evenly the salt and caliber are mixing, but my results are great. We are also doing the same with the Trackless spreader, it a hydraulically driven drop type spreader, and it has an agitator that turns and mixes the salt and Caliber.

Bill

·
Registered
620 Posts
snowjoker said:
Has anyone ever made one for a tailgate spreader? How about the goods and bads of this type of system? All it is, is a sprayer nozzle hitting the material coming off the spinner, right?
I also asked about a system to apply MAGic to the spreader chute. I was told it would require 75% more MAGic to treat the salt this way. It just seemed easier than applying it to our salt pile and mixing it with a loader.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ok I have the same question? I worked 5 of 7 days this week, and it seemed like every load, every account was just a little short, and the extreme cold is not helping.

here is my set up.

my old suppier had treated salt which worked great. My new suppier has straight rock. I had to use 2 times the amount that the treated took care of. the new supplier is also 40 min round trip away fro the closest job.

I have a vee pro 800. it works ok. it has limited feed (flow) rate, and capacity. but still does a good job, and these things did not matter with treated salt because you use less.

does pre wet work? how many gal per ton? cost per ton/gal? and brands types- magic?

I have a liquid weed killer applicator that is nothing more than a tank,valve, and pipe with holes in it. gravity feed drip system, and it kills all the weeds.

the vee pro has a nice chute that the salt slides down before hitting the spinner, I thought that would be a good place for a drip pipe. Keep it simple, tank, electric shut off vave, and drip hose. It would take a few loads to fully adjust, but it is simple no pump, motor or nozzels to clog.

Could this cheap system work- it does very well for weed killer

I am not looking to make a lot of $ on this. 2 or 3 tips to the pile @ 40 min is 2 hrs time I could save, plus better results in cold weather.

If I need a sprayer system any brands

web sites?

Thanks, Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts