Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't tell what causes this exactly, so I'm asking here :)

When running without my plow, the power steering works fine, no problems whatsoever. Now, if I put the plow on, and say, go to the gas station, when i turn the power steering makes that noise that the stering pumps make when going bad (like it's dry on fluid or something). Also the power steering "stutters" (maybe the belt slipping??).
And the belt is new. Well, 3 months new anyways. Belt seems tight enough to me, and the fluid was changed 3 months ago, and is new also.

Ideas?

David

(truck listed in sig.)

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Sounds like the belt may be slipping.They can be a pain to get good and tight.

I usually try to get a dual belt setup off a truck with AC,as two belts are better than one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I removed the AC unit (don't like AC..I prefer the wind). I had to get a belt by trial and error to make it fit without the AC pump installed.
I'll try to adjust the belt tighter tomorrow.

Question:
Why doesn't the belt slip without the plow on?
I can pull a full truck load, with an 8ft. trailer loaded down w/o problems, but not the plow?

David

Now that was the fastest reply that I have ever received!

·
Registered
866 Posts
That might be directly related to the weight distribution- it is way different towing than when running the plow. You have alot more wieght on the fron tires with your plow on and this will defintely make the pump have to "work" harder- more stress anyways. When you've got your trailer on- you have tongue weight that will take weight off of the front of your truck. I would check the belt tension to see if it is tight enough- it sounds like it might be slipping with the added stress of turning the tires with the wight of the plow on. Easy way to check- put the blade on, turn your wheel with the blade on the ground, and then in the air- if it chatters with the blade up the weight is definitely the cause. You maigh have a belt that is too long, or too short- you should be able to have the bolt in the middle of the arc when tightening the belt- much more and you will have no room to play if the belt stretched, too little and you will have a tough time getting the belt tight. Good luck and let us know how you make out!!!

Bill

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Bill is correct,it's the added weight over the front wheels that makes it do it.

If you remove the AC,it should make no difference on the stock PS belt,it will still fit.Without the AC compressor there,you can use the extra pulley groove leftover from the AC belt for a second PS belt.

You said you had to find an PS belt by trial and error.Are you sure it's routed correctly ? Does it go around the water pump pulley ? If it does,it's wrong,and that may be part of the problem.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I removed the AC bracket, pulley, pump (everything AC related). The OEM belt wouldn't work as it was way too long. I'm not sure how I routed it (water pump or not)....Should it be around all three pulleys? Meaning the lower pulley, water pulley, and steering pulley?
I'll check it out in a few minutes and post what I find.
Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
If you had AC,then you should have a two groove pulley on the PS pump.Originally,you would have had one belt that ran from the crank to the inner groove on the PS pump.It does not go around the water pump pulley or anything else.The AC belt went around the crank pulley,the water pump,and the second groove in the PS pump.

When you remove the AC,just get another belt the goes around the crank,water pump,and PS pulley.You can't run a second belt like the first PS belt,or it will hit the water pump pulley.If you get a water pump pulley from a vehicle with out air,then you can run the two matching belts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, here's what I have (and what I did).

I tightened all the belts (2), which were a bit on the loose side.
Put the plow on, in lowered position, and turned the wheels back and forth, no noises or stuttering.
Raised the plow up, turned the wheels back and forth, no noise or stuttering.
Same thing when I put it in 4x4 with plow raised...no noise or stuttering.

Also stopped the noise that I was getting when I turned the wheel all the way to either side!

Now, I haven't drove the truck yet, so I can't tell if it is fixed while turning when the truck is moving...but I suspect that it will be fine now.

Belts were loose.

Of course, I should've known, since they were new, and have stretched a little since installation, as they always do....

Anyways, here's a little diagram that I just made using MS PAint.
The red is the PS belt of course.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
So you only have one PS belt then ? I'd get a stock PS belt (the inner one,It goes only around the crank,and the PS),and install it,so you'll have two belts on the PS pump.One belt will work,but it will start to slip again as it stretches.Two belts work much better.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
on my old Ram I had a noisy PS . I changed to a syn fluid and the niose went away .

·
Registered
69 Posts
testing reply

David, If you had a helper turn the steering wheel, while you watched the pump, you would have seen the pump pully stop for a split second. I believe the others are correct in that the plow weight adds more down pressure (traction) to the front end, and caused a not tight enough belt to slip.

You want to do what they say as to tight a belt on the water pump is not a good thing to do either...

This is my first post here as a reply, and I am just checking things out..

I am Mac, which some times causes folks to think I am calling them names. I am not and I can't think of a single soul that would want to be me at this present time anyway...

I have come here seeking advice... That is a new topic yet to be posted....

Mac

1 - 13 of 13 Posts