Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am afraid to say but I think I may have what could be a possible transmission problem in the not too distant future.

I was plowing on for an hour or so and I took the transmission fluid dipstick out and the fluid smells slightly burnt (deffinatly not sweet).

Any tips or suggestions to maximize my transmissions life.

Thanks
Mac

·
Registered
150 Posts
Add a trans cooler:D

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
if i were you i would change the fluid/filter have the bands adjusted and add tranny cooler if you dont already have one also i would probaly add a temp gague so you can monitor the tranny fluid temp so you can give the truck a break before you cook the fluid... most factory warning lights dont come on till its to late. also when you stop for a bit and after a night of plowing i recomend letting the truck cool down a bit while idleing in nutral rather than just shutting the truck off the reason to put in in nutral not park is so the fluids still contine to circulate...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is only 36000 miles on it. I had the fluid changed about 2 weeks ago. Thats why I am concerned that it is already smelling burnt.

·
Registered
224 Posts
mac3897 said:
There is only 36000 miles on it. I had the fluid changed about 2 weeks ago. Thats why I am concerned that it is already smelling burnt.
who did the oil change? a proper job is to drain the torque converter and pan as well as to flush the lines going to the radiator (and/or cooler) if they left some contaminated fluid in the system that could be what your smelling.

a temp gauge is the best defense against overheating. how does the truck operate when not plowing?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dealer did the change. They have been very thorough in the past so I would like to think that they did it correctly.

Do you think that anything is damaged in any way??

·
Registered
224 Posts
is the truck shifting correctly and not slipping? outside of those symptoms i'm not sure what too look for.

what surprising to me is that in the last 2 weeks last night was your first time out with very light snow conditions. doesn't seem like there was enough to create problems.

i would check with the dealer , perhaps talk to the tech and find out if they COMPLETELY changed the fluid. a small amount of the old stuff will contaminate the new fluid.

you weren't driving around with your e brake on or anything....right?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got Snow? said:
is the truck shifting correctly and not slipping? outside of those symptoms i'm not sure what too look for.

what surprising to me is that in the last 2 weeks last night was your first time out with very light snow conditions. doesn't seem like there was enough to create problems.

i would check with the dealer , perhaps talk to the tech and find out if they COMPLETELY changed the fluid. a small amount of the old stuff will contaminate the new fluid.

you weren't driving around with your e brake on or anything....right?
Thats what I would of thought. It wasnt that hard of a storm last night. The truck seems to be shifting fine with no slipping and the fluid still looks like a bright pink color.

I guess I will call the dealer to see what they actually did. and just keep an eye on it, (or nose for that matter :) )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts