Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, it is going to be pretty cold this week (highs in single digits and below zero for one day). Unfortunately, school starts back up after X-mas break, so I won't be able to plug my truck in in the school parking lot. It has started below zero with only the grid heater, but I want to make it easy on it. What if I hooked up an outlet to a deep cycle battery, to a power inverter, and plugged my block heater into that? I would put a timer in there, so It kicked in an hour and a half before I start it. How long do you think the battery (fully charged) could support the block heater?

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
I just would not chance it at all. As it gets cold you know you need all the cold cranck AMPs you can get. I just think that over time it would not be worth it. Better off going out on a break during the day and letting it run for 15 or 20 that way you get it running, up to temp and recharge the Batts. Just what I would do if I had not other choice.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about that. I meant that I would just carry a deep cycle trolling motor battery in the bed, and just run the wiring, so I will still have 2 fully charged batteries to start it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The battery will not last long. What is the watttage of the block heater?
It's an expen$ive option but the Espar heater will work and be a good long term solution. Another option is a generator. I have one for other reasons but have used it for my truck and it makes starting the snow blowers easy as pie.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My Ford block heater draws almost 1000 watts. Thats 8.33 amps at 120 volts. If you have a good quality inverter, you will need 90 amps at 12 volts to run the block heater. A good deep cycle battery is about 90 AH. Your battery will be completely dead in less than 1 hour. A deep cycle battery should not be discharged less than 50% of capacity to prevent damage. Sounds like your idea won't really work.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The generator would work,if you could find one.I've never heard of using on to start a snowblower before.If you need the electric start on most snowblowers,then something is wrong.They should start first or second pull,everytime.

Deep cycle batteries can be fully discharged many times,and should be run almost completly down before recharging.Regualr batteries should not be heavily discharged before charging.Even so,your correct in saying the battery wouldn't last long.The Cummins block heater draws less,only 600 watts i beleive,which would be a 50 amp draw on your extra battery,not including any inverter loss.You would need a fairly substantial inverter.

The Espar,or Webasto heater is the ultimate solution,but they are expensive,and don't last long.They start to act up after a few years.

I find mine will do OK with just the grid heaters.It has never failed to start in the cold,it just wasn't to happy about it.

If you really get stuck,and she won't fire,then use ether.You need to yank one of the small wires off of each of the grid heater relays (there are two),before you use ether,or you run the risk of an explosion.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
My diesel sits inside when I'm not driving it so wind chill isn't such a concern. But with the temps getting to -10°F for the next few nights, I'm wondering if I should plug it in for a couple of hours at a time all night or wait till a couple hours before I plan to start it? Any advantage or benefit to one or the other?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
wyldman said:
The generator would work,if you could find one.I've never heard of using on to start a snowblower before.If you need the electric start on most snowblowers,then something is wrong.They should start first or second pull,everytime.

Chris, I have a broken pull start on my old Ariens so I use the generator for it. Someday I will fix it.
As far as the Espar I don't know anyone who has or even seen one, that sucks that they are junk, only lasting a few years before problems.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it got down to -5, and she started with just the grids. She wasn't happy, but was willing to stay running. Instead, I am thinking about a remote start that will run for 10 minutes at a time, and combine it with a high idle. Thanks for the replies, I guess I didn't realize how much juice the block heater draws.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Chris, deep cycle batteries can be run down totally, but the number of charge/discharge cycles will be drastically reduced.
Depending how many discharge/charge cycles you want your battery bank to last, you will need to increase the capacity. Let's assume that you are using "low end" inexpensive deep cycle batteries that at 0% average Depth-of-Discharge (DoD) will last 50 cycles, at 20% average DoD will last 200 cycles and at 50% average DoD will last 500 cycles. They should never be completely discharged. You might be thinking of NICad batteries. They should be totally discharged to prevent the memory effect.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
starting fluid

Just reading about starting i dont recommend starting fliud it drys a engine out in short order wd-40 works just has well and gives lub during use.

I served 4yrs in the army has a heavy equipent mech if we used starting fluid to start a diesel and got caught it was a automatic article 15 loss of rank and money , know this is back in 82 we had detroits, and cat engines and they had did enough research then to know engine damage was being caused

·
Registered
620 Posts
And remember "wind chill" does not apply to machines, only to human or animal bodies. It's related to how the temperature feels on our skins. The actual temperature still remains the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts