Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just visited Western's site. They have a poly snow deflector that creates a curl that slightly resembles those metal ones found on the "yellow" brand. Has anyone seen these deflectors?

Western's site was kind of vague on info, will they work on a steel pro blade?

Any idea of $$$$

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I saw a price of $95.00 for the poly deflector for an 8' plow. Problem is I can't remember where. Check the distributor list on the Western site. That's where I eventually found the price. From the instructions it looks as though it will work on any plow.

E

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Duckman1

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Go with the one Nate sells on here, half the price same effect.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I've had rubber before (not Nates) and I wasn't all that pleased. I'll do some searches and then decide what I'll do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
2 cents

Something to think about with the poly is the added length to the truck ,plow combination. I was looking at one for Dad's truck (thought it would be a nice addition) but with the rubber belt we use now the truck just fits into the garage with the plow on, "wall to door" with the added 6" or so that it hangs out farther it would never fit.
John

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The rubber is much better.You can add rubber strips to stiffen it up,or even add weights to the end of it.They are virtually indestructable.

The poly is nice,but I'm not sure it would be quite as durable.It may get damaged when stacking into frozen piles,or hitting an immovable object.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The new style Western deflectors work great.
But as I have said in other posts if you are a pile packer or one who rams into piles then you should go with the rubber deflector that's flexible.
If you do choose to go with any type of deflector on your Western add the curl brackets that go on the ends to prevent the top edge of the plow from cracking.
:rolleyes: John...........

·
Registered
609 Posts
when you bang into a frozen pile of snow will that poly deflector fold out of the way or shatter? I will bet $$ on the latter. I have mutitudes of sizes from 6" tall all the way to 18" tall and from 3/8" to 1" thick. feel free to give me a call or e-mail so we can get the right deflector for the application so you have awesome results:D

Nate

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Garagekeeper said:
Western add the curl brackets that go on the ends to prevent the top edge of the plow from cracking.
:rolleyes: John...........
What those be? Got pics? Part number?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks All,

Nate, I'll give you a call to discuss.

Lawngodfather, I found the installation and parts manuals on western's site in the plow docs section. They show the curl bracket and the instructions.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have the poly one on my "yellow" plow (2 years now) while i have never really smashed into a frozen pile i have pushed against them without any trouble.Ive had my plow flipped over and resting on the poly deflector while i was working on it and nothing happend to it.They actually have some bend to them even in real cold temps.Im sure if you hit a frozed pile hard enough it would brake though.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Id worrie about when the plow trips. I'll stay with the rubber

Rich:burnout

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
i got one from nate pretty stout rubber works well for the few times ive gotten to plow this year...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Am I the only one with a poly deflector?

I don't have any experience with a rubber deflector, but I can tell you about my poly one.

If I was to go out and buy one right now, it would probably be a rubber deflector because they are cheaper and are probably more durable.

But, I have had good luck with my poly deflector. It gets pounded and scraped on the pavement when the plow trips. It smashes into icy hard piles without a problem. It suprises me how durable it is, even when cold. It's not as brittle as you may think.

It works great for rolling snow and keeps snow off the windshield. Here is a pic that shows it rolling some snow off to the side. No snow on the windshield.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all for your input

1 - 19 of 19 Posts