Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my first video ever, plowing in Maine in a blizzard. I hit the ditch half way through, but came back out without stopping. omg This is the second pass, the first pass was even better, but I accidentally hit the pause button.

I know you have been getting this type of "Maine" snow south of here this year......................... Yeah, but do you have driveways like this in your city or town?? :eek:

Crank up the volume and click full screen (lower right) to feel what it was like. Lots of shake and tossing with that very rough gravel road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RJixgItw1s

This is a video clip shot with a tiny snapshot camera that fits easily in a shirt pocket. Todays big cards allow yesterdays little cameras to shoot a big clip.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
wow that is a long driveway that video is like 5 min long . where do they live in the middle of the woods? Looked like you where plowing a road and not a driveway LOL.

·
Registered
476 Posts
How fast were you going?

Did you bring your passport? ( i think you went to Canada and back)

That wasone heck of a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong driveway.

I like these vids and pics. Lets us know how others go about things.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow that is a long driveway that video is like 5 min long . where do they live in the middle of the woods? LOL.
Yeah, middle of the woods, on the shoulder of a mountain. $25 is my standard driveway charge, but with the price of gas and all, I do have to charge more for this one. :grinz

Only the one house on it. My helper likes it, lots of deer tracks.

By the way, I'm booking right along for those 5 minutes, not picking any daisies.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How fast were you going?

Did you bring your passport? ( i think you went to Canada and back)

That wasone heck of a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong driveway.

Interestingly, my county does go to Canada, but not that driveway. I don't know how fast I was going, I didn't dare look down at the speedometer while driving with one hand and trying to look at the viewfinder. I do know I was going my normal speed ..................... as fast as possible!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha...Those Canada jokes aren't as funny when you're that close to it i guess.
No, I thought it was very funny, forgot to show my appreciation with a grin smiley. Especially liked the passport part. :grinz

What I do need to bring is a chainsaw, drive has been blocked in the past with down trees after a wet snow. Hate to come flying over a crest and see a tree across the road, buried in snow. I'll admit to having pushed them out of the way on more than one occasion, if not too big.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LMAO

Holy schmoly, how long is it? Has to be over a mile.
You are perceptive, and quite right, over a mile.

That was cool. I liked the music. Who was it?
That's the beautiful and pleasant Fiona singing ("Elijah Rock") with "Ollabelle"! You don't realize she has an Australian accent when you hear her singing. She plays bass also, though not on that song.I had the music cranked, great stereo in the truck.

Fiona autographed my CD. It's old, they have improved the song since. Ever get a chance to see them in concert, do it!! You will be glad you did. I keep hoping they will come back this way. Recently after a concert my wife remarked "Ollabelle is the best act we've ever seen there!"

That is not a 2 minute driveway!

Nice video.
Thanks.

What is a two minute driveway? :p

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is that driveway/road considered to be rural? That road would scare me in the middle of the night plowing you never know whats gonna come out at you. Tree, deer
Pretty sure it would be considered rural. :p In the middle of the night I've sort of woken up on the road in just to get to the drive and wondered, "Where am I??". No power lines, no buildings, everything looks the same, seems to keep going forever with no change. Reminds me of driving the back country in Nova Scotia when the same thing would happen, just have to drive till you recognize something.

Best bring extra arctic gear, food and water just in case. Until a few years ago there was no cell phone coverage either.

But I really get scared at a summer camp I do, because even though there are buildings there are no people (just moose walking around), no heat, and worst of all, almost no trees. If you get really stuck there is nothing to hook onto. (I carry lots of chain, straps, and a couple of come-alongs). And without trees, the drifting is really bad, it's a snow sweet spot anyway, but you can drift in faster than you can dig out. That's scary, and the wind will freeze you in no time without the right gear.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
But I really get scared at a summer camp I do, because even though there are buildings there are no people (just moose walking around), no heat, and worst of all, almost no trees. If you get really stuck there is nothing to hook onto. (I carry lots of chain, straps, and a couple of come-alongs). And without trees, the drifting is really bad, it's a snow sweet spot anyway, but you can drift in faster than you can dig out. That's scary, and the wind will freeze you in no time without the right gear.
The nice part of the summer camp is you know someone coming right by you to do a mile or more of road in past it.:wink And he usually come equipped with Oshkosh's, chains, straps, trucks, radios, tractors, blowers etc.. etc...:grinz

I prefer the back roads that I do. Yeah, some of them go nowhere and there is NO ONE within miles and miles:eek:, but then again, you don't have to deal with anyone that way.:grinz

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The nice part of the summer camp is you know someone coming right by you to do a mile or more of road in past it.:wink And he usually come equipped with Oshkosh's, chains, straps, trucks, radios, tractors, blowers etc.. etc...:grinz

I prefer the back roads that I do. Yeah, some of them go nowhere and there is NO ONE within miles and miles:eek:, but then again, you don't have to deal with anyone that way.:grinz
Thanks Alan, so true now that you work the area and there is cell phone coverage from at least the top of the hill. Used to really scare me.

Have to admit, I treasure the back areas, so peaceful and beautiful. And no waiting for traffic!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts