Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I get some advice about this snowblower.....

I was think about getting one of those for next season but I can't find anything that actually gets into detail with it versus a plow.

Perhaps someone here has one or know of someone that can provide the pros & cons about the snow blower from the plow.

Hanson Snow Blowers

If I get it, it will only be used on residential clearing.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
that sounds a little heavy to put on the front of an f-150 you'd probably have to do some suspension mods to accomidate for the weight. asfar as for using it for res i guess it would just depend on what the drives look like that your doing for the ones i do a plow works fine has less constant moving parts therefore less power draw and wouldnt need central hydrolics,pto or seprate motor to run.i would imagine that a plow would be more cost effective but thats just my thoughts on the subject ive never used one of those blower attachments. to make a true comparison.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My F350 has all it can handle at 821#... I'd say 800 is pushing it for a 150. Granted, mine is Crew and Diesel, but still... a bit heavy.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The little Ford TTB front end wouldn't put up with the kind of weight for long,I'd look for a better truck.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
wyldman said:
The little Ford TTB front end wouldn't put up with the kind of weight for long,I'd look for a better truck.
I LOVE IT!!!
It's as if you've got a TTB there next to you with a shaggy bowl haircut, and you're patting it on the head- "nice little TTB"

No offense intended, Parks- welcome to SPC!!! :waving

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wyldman said:
I'd look for a better truck.
There isn't a beter truck on the market unless Kenworth comes out with won.

I probally won't purchase it anyway, just looking to see what the pros & cons would be.

They stated 800# weight but don't know if that was everything set up & ready to roll or just the blower.
apparently it is suppose to hook up to your snow plow mounts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went ahead and contacted them about anyways to see if they can send me some information.

It could make for good reading & mabe they could have lighter models as well.

·
Registered
866 Posts
IMO- you'd be better with a plow- it's going to be much more productive than the blower. I use a blower to move banks back on my smaller commercial accounts. It's more cost effective for my customers than hiring a loader and dumptruck to cart the snow away. Granted I use a tractor mounted blower in conjunction with another tractor with a front bucket on it to break the hardened snow up to help the blower, but it's still very time consuming. You would be better with an 8' blade or a heavier truck with a V-blade.

Just my $.02 , but let us know what you decide and how you make out!

Bill
SPC addict!
LOL!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
parks911 said:
There isn't a beter truck on the market unless Kenworth comes out with won.

I probally won't purchase it anyway, just looking to see what the pros & cons would be.

They stated 800# weight but don't know if that was everything set up & ready to roll or just the blower.
apparently it is suppose to hook up to your snow plow mounts.
Any truck properly equipped to carry the weight of a decent plow,or snowblower,doesn't matter who makes it.A TTB F150 isn't really well equipped in the front suspension department for snowplowing.

Unless you have a direct need for the blower,a plow would be a more logical choice.I would be curious to see how the blower works though,I'm sure it could be handy in certain situations.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would say that the plow would also be fast than the snow plow and easier to manuver with.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thought about it

the snowblower attachment looks very interesting. larger investment probably. never seen one around here (on a pickup:D ) guess that’s part of the curiosity for me. the ability to throw the snow for some of my res. acts would be great. i'd like to see one working and see how productive (profitable) it is.

as far as the weight, you could modify it (of course!) so that the snowblower engine resides in the bed of the pick-up. come to think of it, might as well throw in a back plow and centrals hyd!

can you angle that unit like a plow?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what I understand from there web-site is that the blower hooks up to your snow plow mount & is operated by your plows in cab controls. They also have cab controls to start & stop the auger, engine, chute & all that jazz.

I thought it was interesting to see, never seen or heard of one before until I stumbled upon there web site.

It struck my interest

They are suppose to be sending me more info on it ~ it should make for great reading material.

·
Registered
610 Posts
one of our sponsors northern tool sell them

if you want a blower already mounted on a truck theirs been one
on ebay for the last yr 1/2

speed wise nothing beats a plow
if you need to break a road get a v-plow but your still over weight

john:argue

·
Registered
719 Posts
Snowblowers

Having put a lot of time on snow blowers/throwers my biggest concern on a pickup is ground speed. A blower is designed to move X amount of snow/hour, moving too slow results in clogging, and moving too fast overloads the blower. In heavy snow conditions the pick up will have to be slipping the torque converter, or if it's a standard the clutch to go slow enough to not over load the blower. Snowblowers are great, if you can throw the snow off the area being cleared each pass, it can be faster then a plow, because you only move the snow once, blown snow has about 1/10th the volume of unblown snow, and once it's back on the ground usually doesn't blow around again. Blowing snow that's already been through the blower really slows things down, as the volume has already been reduced, so the blower has to move really slow, remember the old tons/hour. Your going to be using low range a lot. Also 20hp isn't a lot of horsepower for a blower that big, so it's going to be easy to overload the blower.

Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I think I will be sticking with the western plow!!!!

I just was over at www.northerntool.com looking at the hanson snow blower.

For the Price they want for it you can almost buy 3 brand new plow set ups for my truck.

Over $8000.00 well over priced in my mind. If I wanted to spend that kind of money not knowing what the return would be I would buy that one off eBay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts