Snowplow Forums banner

When away from vehicle, do you leave plow up or down?

• I leave it up.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • I put it down.

Votes: 251 90.0%
  • Sometimes up, sometimes down.

Votes: 26 9.3%
81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
I always put mine down whenever I'm parked. For relief of the hydraulics and front end, but also for another reason - to prevent the truck from rolling away. I've had it happen three times that I got out of the truck with it running and it started rolling. Twice was just because I was looking over the site and forgot to put it in "Park":headwall . Both times I caught it before it got very far. The other time, I got out to hook up the plow and left the truck running. I got to the front of the truck just as it jumped out of Park to Reverse. The way it was parked, I couldn't catch it. Got the door open but it knocked me down and rolled into the garage, knocking the wall between the doors off the foundation.

Now when I get out of the truck with it running, I'll put the plow down and set the brake. Not the high point of the day laying on the ground watching your truck roll into your garage so hard the back end jumps off the ground.
This is some solid advice right here - the NHTSA should require snowplows on all trucks to prevent roll-aways. Just think of all the lives that would be saved if plows were mandated so trucks didn't just roll off on their own as happens all the time since there is presently no way to prevent such a thing.

Edit: Totally unrelated note: I love that that user's name is censored as a racial slur.

Edit #2: perhaps one of our esteemed Super Moderators can edit the poll options to include "#4: I always put it down to anchor my truck so it doesn't rollaway. A fourth time." Cuz I would totally choose that one.

·
Super Moderator
863 Posts
The threads title makes no distinction
In the species of pet.
It could just as easily have a pic of a fish.

And we know about your rant so don’t play coy ,

I hung a 5 pound weight in the air two hours ago and I went back and looked and it the scale still says 5 pounds

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Yes

81 - 87 of 87 Posts