Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say I'm happy to be a part of this site. I know many of us frequent another plowsite (no pun) and hope to have a good time here with fellow professionals! Scott (TLC9 @ PS & LS).

So to my question:

How many of you push your snow straight ahead or do you keep you blade angled(commercial lots). I ve seen many lots where plowers push straight ahead the whole time and the go back and cleanup the windrows. It makes alot more sense to keep your blade angles to prevent spill out the sides, doenst it?:headwall

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
with a REAL deep snow (which we don't get much of around here) your windrow can get pretty big while angling all the same way across a large lot. Straight-blading tends to move more snow ahead, but you sacrifice alot of control (it spills over both sides) Sometimes when my windrow gets unmanageable, I'll straight-blade it to spread it out and move some snow 'downrange'. Then I'll start kicking it to the side again. While windrowing, I've found that the faster you drive, the more it spreads your snow out and you'll spill less on the following passes... within reason, of course!!

I can't imagine straight-blading a lot in a 2" snowfall only to go back and windrow it all over... NO WAY!! My time is worth more than that.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Welcome to the site!

EZSnow summed that up well. Feel free to be more efficent than those competitors you are watching, and you'll make more money too. ;)

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have started different windrows in different areas of a lot when there is plenty of snow, but never plowed straight ahead. That would make more work for you I believe... Unless you have prowings, a snow pusher, or a Blizzard....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
waterchkin brought up a good point about using wings if its a strait blade they allow you to make a strait push without making a mess making winrows... that is within reason though even then you can only get somuch snow infront of the blade before it spills over the side... for the most part though when possible winrowing is the way to go saves alot of time over trying to strait push the whole lot

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I have pro-wings on my plow and I try to push straight as much as possible. If it is a small lot i would push straight because you would lose 12 inches or more at full angle. Multiply that times 10 passes and that is alot of pushing. Well my plow with wings is 9'6"straight.:D Or you could go with the box plow style wings and lose very little.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yeah, welcome TreffertLawnWrx, I'm with the above I have one lot at which I do my first push straight down the lot. Subsequent passes are angled since there is a ditch on each side so I can make my push angled and by the time I'm close to finished any spill off the blade goes in the ditch. I love that contract. :cash
Good to see you at this site.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I mostly windrow with the wings. In some small lots I push straight in spots where it works, but most of my runs are long & get pushed off to the side to make less stress on the trucks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well I think If I had a V plow might use it in a scoop mode?

But with a straight plade its unloading from both sides So I dont see any benifit to going in straight with a straight bade.If I have real light stuff I will use less of an angle so I have a greater width.Actually I just angle the minimum I have to to have the snow unload to one side

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
On bigger lots,it's faster to straightblade the majority of it,and then clean up the trailoff later.You can actually use the windrows to help hold the snow on the blade,and push more snow.

The deeper the snow gets,the faster it is if you get the bulk of the snow out of the way first.If your just windrowing across the lot,it eventually becomes inefficient as your windrows get so big they are hard to move.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I forgot to mention we usually run two trucks in tandem.One big truck,one small truck.The bigger truck gets rid of most of the snow,and the smaller one cleans up the trailoff,and the tight spots.It is actually faster than just having one truck.

My truck is long,and a pain to turn around,and for doing cleanup work.Having a smaller,more manuverable truck is faster for cleanup work.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Depends on how much snow is down, how far you have to push, and what type blade your using. Windrowing doesn't get you too far when there's 6"+ on the ground. Push straight in deep snow, windrow in light snow.

This is my first season with a V-blade and it does cut down the cleanup time from spill off. I can see where a Blizzard or even a straight blade with box wings would carry more snow for longer distances though. The bonus of the Vee is that you can use several different blade positions. Controlling each wing independently is a nice feature on the Fisher.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow these are great replies
:burnout

·
Registered
243 Posts
WOW

I just cant belive what you guys are saying here.

I am just trying to picture this and the way I am thinking is that you bulk out the lot with a big truck and then your actually almost replowing the entire lot again doing clean up with a smaller truck doing less of a load

Is this correct?

I definatley understand how a pusher speeds things along but its doing a much wider swath and its closed on both ends.I just cant picture it with an open plow.

I just put on a set of trukey wings thinking I was just going to use them on a portion of my lot .But I may try straight blading the entire lot.Time will tell

·
Registered
25 Posts
Deep snow

I agree with Wyldman and Cut/trim. I used to windrow all my lots almost all the time. The last two big storms have changed my approach.

Light fluffy snow can be windrow'd at speed successfully and efficiently. It throws easy, and won't build up enough to move the truck over.

The last big storm we had here dropped 26". I had hit my lots after the 1st 10". The storm dumped another 16+ with drifts.
It was white cement. I windrowed in the 1st pass, and then it just pushed my truck over 1/2 thru the next windrow. Just FYI, my truck weighed in around 9k lbs.

The only way I could plow that lot was to straight blade in low ranged about 15mph. The snow kept rolling in front of the blade until the end of push where I stacked it. If I slowed under 10mph it just stopped the truck. I was literally amazed at how much snow/weight the truck moved USING momentum.

I could have NEVER windrowed it...and I know, your supposed to plow with the storm. This one dumped so much so fast it was impossible to keep up with it unless you only had a couple of small accounts.

I now straight plow more frequently, and am thinking of wings or a different blade for next season.

Dave

·
Registered
569 Posts
ih82plow: Leave your wings on. They'll help you carry more snow when straight blading, and they won't interfere with windrowing either. Myself and my sub both plow with 8.5' Fisher V's, but my other guy uses a Meyer C-8 with pro-wings. That's the plow I used last season and I almost never took the wings off.

If every snowfall gave us 2-4" of fluffy powder we'd all windrow 100% of the time, but when its heavy/deep you gotta straighten the blade to move as much per swipe as possible. Then if you've removed enough, you can windrow again to clean what's spilled off.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ever try doing a large lot in a circle? Clear out a few passes in the middle, 3 Trucks. First guy starts, blade angled out. Second guy follows first guy, 3/4 of a blade over from first guy. 3rd guy follows second guy, 3/4 of a blade over from 2nd guy. Push it off to the corners. All that is left in the end is to clean up the corners. 3 truck, four corners, no problems. Don't ever have to look backwards to back out, as you're going in a circle. Get a little dizzy at times!!!:p

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Now that I have the wings, I find myself straight-blading more often than ever before. I am so amazed by the amount of snow I can keep in front of me!!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
cutntrim said:
ih82plow: Leave your wings on. They'll help you carry more snow when straight blading, and they won't interfere with windrowing either. Myself and my sub both plow with 8.5' Fisher V's, but my other guy uses a Meyer C-8 with pro-wings. That's the plow I used last season and I almost never took the wings off.

If every snowfall gave us 2-4" of fluffy powder we'd all windrow 100% of the time, but when its heavy/deep you gotta straighten the blade to move as much per swipe as possible. Then if you've removed enough, you can windrow again to clean what's spilled off.
he cant winrow with his wings on he has turkey wings not prowings...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts