Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is a plow pre package? How do you determine if your truck has one?

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Most MFG are stiffer front springs, shocks cab clearnance lights, trans cooler and trans dummy light.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike..

I have the trans cooler and clearance lights for sure. The truck also sits pretty high in both the front and back.

I believe it was labled as a camper special.. similar package?

·
Registered
979 Posts
On GM trucks with plow prep package, they have increased front end capacity, larger output alternator, auxiliary light switch with wiring harness above headliner for roof lights, large hole predrilled on firewall for routing control harness under the dash, transmission cooler, etc. I am sure I forgot something else, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ask your dealer or the plow dealer what the code would be on your door sticker or VIN to indicate that your truck has the plow prep package. On fords, if the front GVW is over 4900lbs (I think, but should be close if I'm wrong) the truck has the plow prep package. For F150's and F250's if the total GVW is over 8600lbs then it has the plow package. But the key is the front GVW, because the tow package only beefs up the rear.

My truck (F350) did not have the prep package. I had to add a leaf to the front to handle the weight of the plow. Never had a problem with the altenator, may even be a high output for the tow package, not sure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at the id tag inside the truck and the front GVW is 5200 and total GVW is 8800.

Looking at the Boss website I meet the front GVW requirements but it says the required plow prep code is "AHD". Where do I find this code?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
underneith the hood there should be a tag that has a bunch of codes on it it will be in there if it has it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay.. I found the tag under the hood with a bunch of codes like you said.. looked to be twelve 3 letter codes plus some other letter and number codes. The AHD code was not on the list. :(

Does this mean I should not or can not mount a Boss plow without beefing it up or something? Would this hold true for any plow?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
"plow prep" is a $75 insurance policy on the fords.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The truck will be fine,even without the"AHD" plow prep option.You may need to upgrade the front springs though.

Take a look at the spring code tag on each front spring,and let me know what the numbers are.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chris..

The numbers on the tags are as follows:

Drivers side -

Big Bold Numbers 038

Pass side -

Bold 037

Thanks for the help..

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
If you have a V8,then I'd recommend a 046/047 spring combo.If it's a diesel or V10,then use a 047/048.The lighter spring (smaller number) goes in the pass side.You can get the springs from your local Dodge dealer.

They are pretty stiff springs,but they hold the plow real well,and don't affect the ride to much.Handling is much improved too.

I would also add a set of Timbrens.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again... It's a 5.9L

Jeez.. stiffer springs and timbrens. This is going to break the bank :(

Approximately how much does it cost to do each of these?

Can I make it through a season without?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
They are cheap,compared to other things.The springs are about $300 a pair,and the Timbrens can be had for less than $150.00.

Easy to install too,you could probably do them yourself.If you need any help,just let me know.

You could try and get by without them,but the truck will not be happy with the plow on it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is that $300 USD?

"If you need any help,just let me know."

Chris I appreciate the offer but I couldn't ask you to come all this way just to install springs. ;) But maybe we could knock out the plow in the same day :D

Seriously.. The springs are easy to change out? How long would it take?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
It's gotta be easy- Crimedog did it, and he's just a little squirt!! ;) :D

Just yankin' yer chain, Matt. Somebody's gotta start the teasin' around here, or Mike97SS is gonna lose his edge!!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Those prices are in US.You may be able to do better if you shop around.

The springs aren't hard,just drop the shocks,and the sway bar links,and down comes the diff.You may have to pry down on each side of the diff to get them out,but they will come out without a compressor.It should take a couple of hours for a novice to do them.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
The camper package is for the rear suspension they will add an anti roll bar (sway bar)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts