Snowplow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plow only rises if i revv up engine

3K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  SnoFarmer 
#1 ·
Hi im new here guys and thank you for any help/ advise. I'm also new to plowing and im enjoying it alot.. I have a problem.. I noticed when i first turn the truck on (1990 chevy 2500) and i move the plow up, down or side by side it is slow but it moves.. After maybe half hour of plowing I can no long operate the plow without accelerating the engine.. If I dont accelerate it wont move at all.. Forgot to mention its a 7ft. Fisher speedcast belt driven pump with control valve under hood... Ive been reading alot here and dont know if i should replace pump or control valve.. Any help its appreciated.. Thank you and have a blessed one.

#5 ·
Thank you and yes theres fluid in.. I believe its ATF well it is red.. Its topped off.. Im new to plowing. Got it to plow our driveway.. I don't see no filter. Checked all lines to see if i find a filter somewhere but no luck.. I live in CT right now its 22 outside.. If I go turn the truck on I'll be able to raise/ lower and move it side by side, not very fast but it moves.. As i start plowing the longer I go the worse it gets... Gets to the point that if i come to a complete stop and I hit the control to raise it it wont even move. Instead it starts dropping..

#12 ·
I followed every hydraulic line and none has a filter attached to it.. The person I bought the truck from told me that he hasnt used the plow the last 3 seasons cause he bought a brand new pick up and plow.. Im assuming that for the last 3 years it has the same exact ATF. Hkwow would I go about draining all the ATF in it now ? And what thicker oil do you recommend? Thank you

#15 ·
His belt drive pump doesn't have the pieces you are talking about. And the alternator wouldn't affect it.

I'm not sure if the synthetic atf would make things better or worse? His problem stems from the pressure dropping as the fluid warms and flows smoother ,
Yes I looked all over but the plow is not connected to any electricity at all. Othe then the plow lights.. I did notice the belt that runs the pump is a little loose like I can put my finger on the belt and push down and it will move maybe 2 inches.. Im not sure if that belt is supposed to be loose like that or if its supposes to be on nice and tight. Dont even know if that affects anything.... Im sorry guys but im totally new to plowing. I live I connecticut and was able to go and plow for this recent storm its fun and satisfying to clear the snow. But I had to keep the truck accelerated or after pushing snow I'll have to put truck in neutral rev up and then reverse.. Kinda sucks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.