Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what would be a good deal on a plow deflector for a 8.6 western pro-plus. I didn't get one with the plow when I bought it, because the price seemed really steep.

I used to only do res. and small apartments and I really never needed a deflector. Now I am doing a larger lot and getting snow all over the windshield.

I went to one parts place and they said 75.00 for the kit, but they have no idea when they will get it. I then called my dealer and he said 140.00 for the kit, this seems a little high. I called some other places, but no dice.

I also considered online suppliers, but I'm not sure if the kits are quality or not. Any suggestions welcome, thank you in advance.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Go to a local gravel pit and get a piece pf conveyor belting, that is what i used.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I need anything special to mount it, all of the kits I see have brackets. Im sure I can figure it out, but just curious about the brackets.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
All i used was 1/8x1 inch flat stock just drilled 1/4 inch holes in the top of the blade. Thats it! I made the rubber 10 inches wide

·
Registered
289 Posts
There is a multitude of ways for mounting - I took 1/4 angle and mounted it, then squished the conveyor between the angle and a piece of 1/8" stock. This worked out well for be due to the configuration of my Meyer plow. This also helps keep the wind from catching it during transport.

Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought a piece of baling belt from TSC, it is 10" wide. The plow has predrilled holes, so I just bolted the deflector to the top. The angle is good, however, when I am driving it flies up covering my lights. I was thinking about putting a piece of flat stock on the end of it to weigh it down some. Has anyone else put a weight on the end or is it pretty much pointless? Thanks for advice.

Jeff

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you look at the far side of my deflector in the pic above, you can make out two bolts. On the underside of each end, I bolted pieces of 1/2"x3"x6" stock that I had laying around. It is enough weight to keep it in place during transport.

Andy

·
Registered
609 Posts
jbeland said:
I bought a piece of baling belt from TSC, it is 10" wide. The plow has predrilled holes, so I just bolted the deflector to the top. The angle is good, however, when I am driving it flies up covering my lights. I was thinking about putting a piece of flat stock on the end of it to weigh it down some. Has anyone else put a weight on the end or is it pretty much pointless? Thanks for advice.

Jeff
the only way to keep them from flying up is to put heavy rubber stiftening strips down the face like what handyhaver has(pic below)

I could have hooked ya up with thicker belting for about $4.50 a foot compared to TSC's $5.99 a foot

check my website under deflectors for the rubber strips

Nate~

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Big Nate's Plowing said:
the only way to keep them from flying up is to put heavy rubber stiftening strips down the face
I mean no offense by this Nate, but there are other ways, and I am not saying your's is a bad idea, but.
The big state trucks do not have rubber stiftening strips. They usually extend the lenght of the deflector to not allow air to get under the deflector. For smaller plow and deflectors, extending is not an option. Again, I am not saying you have a bad design, but it is not the only option. We have used 2x4's, old cutting edges, basically anything that is heavy will work.

Andy

·
Registered
609 Posts
Long0 said:
We have used old cutting edges
Andy
that right there is a dangerous thing to do. I gotta good laugh at that though, how often do you see a state truck go flying down the road with a old cutting edge bolted to the deflector, or even a 2x4? IMO it sounds and probably looks trashy. why hang a 40# bandaid on the deflector when it can be done right for minimal cost and save extra weight from the front end of the truck.

I sell 14" and 16" tall x ¾" thick rubber for state blades and for airport equipment and agree that extending from say 10" to 16" in that application will help tremendously but it is not always viable on smaller plows.... example, on a meyer ST-90 ( most popular) blade the moldboard is 24" tall the "meyer brand" deflector is 8" tall so that leaves 16" of moldboard left. which allows you to "roll" 16" of snow. lets be realistic, in 16" of snow that 8" deflector wont do crap because it is real flimsy, take and add some "stiffening strips®" and it will work alot better. add a old cutting edge and you will get drag and a deflector that will still ride up in deep snow at speeds over 2-3 mph because the weight wont help the deflector stay where it is supposed to be, which is hanging down causing the rolling action

:nodd

Nate~

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I bought a snow deflector from western $130 but this was before I found this fourm and Big nate. If i knew about nate sooner he would of had my money. But My western deflector doesnt fly up in tranport. Well over 70 it does. But i dont plow at 70.And there are no stiffing strips or anything. But i like your set up nate. And if i need any deflector i will get it from you. Or what evere else i can find use for that rubber.
Actually i want to seal off my wheel wells from the inner fender to the frame so my engine doesnt get covered in salt. Do u have a light grad rubber thats flexable. about 12" wide???

Rich:burnout

·
Registered
609 Posts
I stock everything from 1/16" thick to 1" thick in widths of 1" to 72" neoprene and pure rubber, pvc belting exc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts