Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Any position, dosn't matter.

Votes: 6 10.3%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
Makes sense Runner. EXCEPT, I trust my driving a whole lot more than all the other drivers out there.

Almost always to the left for me.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Usually straight, but if it has to be angled, then it goes full left. Like said by someone else, Id rather have it left when traveling on a 2 lane road with oncoming traffic. It just seems to make more sense, tucking it in close to allow cars to pass by you more freely, rather than have it sticking out with it angled full right. On the highway I keep it straight, and if I need to make it run a little cooler, I drop it down some, but still keep it centered. Also mentioned by someone else, I may change the angle if I have to turn down a street that is very narrow, or there is a car trying to get out of the same street I am trying to turn into. Whatever seems to make sense at the present time is what I do. ;) Mike :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Mike 97 SS said:
Id rather have it left when traveling on a 2 lane road with oncoming traffic. It just seems to make more sense, tucking it in close to allow cars to pass by you more freely, rather than have it sticking out with it angled full right.
Plows angle the same left of right. They don't "stick out" any further on either side. I really don't remember which way I angle my Suburban, as I rarely use it anyway.

As long as you guys keep it angled SOME way on narrow roads........I'm HAPPY!

I could care less about highways and wide roads, its the little narrow "lane and a half" roads that irk me.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Plows angle the same amount left and right? Are you sure about this? How come noone told me?? ;) What I meant was, it seems to make more sense, as someone said above, to have it angled full left while traveling down a 2 lane road. I know it doesnt stick out really, but it looks like it does to the drivers approaching you, with it angled full right. As a courtesy, I keep it angled full left so it is tucked into the truck. To oncoming traffic, it LOOKS as though they have more room to pass. Mike

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Runner::: Angled to the right, for safety purposes. If the blade somehow happens to come into contact with the side of the road, it will just deflect off. For those that angle it to the left, - that's just crazy. If you ever happened to bump - even just slightly - into the side, you would be sucked right off the road and probably flipped over, if at any adequate speed.
I totally Agree Runner. Plus it could kick out the rear of the truck into the oncoming traffic. RIGHT IS RIGHT!!!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Plow Dak said:
I totally Agree Runner. Plus it could kick out the rear of the truck into the oncoming traffic. RIGHT IS RIGHT!!!!!
You can turn that around just as easily and say that if you have it angled right and hit the snowbank on the shoulder it would shoot you headon into oncoming traffic.

I myself would rather have to be pulled out of a snow bank then hit someone head on.

Most plows when they're angled the leading edge(away from the truck) is the highest part of the plow & for that to catch on a bank it'd have to be a big one and either way it was angled i think something bad is going to happen to you.:(

Dan

·
Registered
447 Posts
Right

I keep my blade angled to the right. I can keep my eyes on it better that way when entering turns and what not. I don't think it would make a difference which way it was angled it you hit oncomming traffic.

Just a thought.

Go with whatever is comfortable for you.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Boss web site

This is a direct quote from the Boss web site. "When transporting a snowplow, angle the blade to the right (towards the curb). This will reduce the chance of catching a curb or a snowbank that could pull your vehicle into it." Here is the link http://bosssnowplows.com/plow_tips/practices.asp

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
I'll bet it says on there somewheres to not exceed 40 MPH when transporting and do not exceed 15 MPH when plowing.

And we all follow that guidline.:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I agree with DanG. With the plow angled full left, how are you going to catch a curb on the passenger side? The right side of the plow would be up pretty high in the air. I say do whatever feels comfortable to you. When you are driving down a narrow 2 lane roadway with cars approaching you, besides watching where you are going, are you paying more attention to oncoming traffic or the right side of the road where the snow is piled?? Me personally, I am paying more attention to the people approaching me, to make sure they are watching where their going and arent gonna swerve into me or the plow, so therefor having it angled full left, in my mind, makes more sense. Also, with it angled full left, even if the far right tip of the plow did just catch a snowbank on the right side of the road, I think the plow would just cut through it and the truck would continue on driving staright, well unless the pile was frozen solid. :eek: Just my 2 cents. I have replied to this thread 3 times, so thats 6 cents now! Mike :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey Walt,

What were you doing on the Boss site?

Does Western have anything in writing advising were to run the plow?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Boss also says:

Do not exceed 40 mph when transporting a plow.

Do not exceed 14 mph when plowing.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I can't vote... I do it all!! Really, there's as much bad as there is good for any position you choose.
TLS- your gripe about the guys with the big straights running down the road with their blades straight is legit, but there's a perfectly good reason. For instance, if I angle my 8.5 Pro-Plus full right, the right side is only 4 inches or so off the ground, and the left side is covering the headlight and blinker. If I lower it enough to clear the lights, the right is within a couple inches of the ground, throwing slush on anyone to my right, and putting a funny wear pattern on my blade. Switch it to the left, and I'm throwing junk at oncoming traffic- not good. So, I generally run down the road straight and low, being mindful of the situation and changing as required... right turn, angle it left, left turn, angle it right.

As for angling left "tucking" the left side of the blade closer to the truck.... ehhh, nope. Depending on what you mean by "closer". Distance from the marker to the bumper? Closer. Distance From centerline? Closer than straight. Distance from centerline compared to angled right? Not closer. If the pivot point were IN the same vertical plane as the blade, it would be equal angled left or right. Since pivot is behind the blade, angling does make the blade overall narrower, but swings it to the left. It is farther to the left than it is to the right.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I used to always run the blade angled to the right until I added the prowings. With the plow fully angled it just hangs too close to the ground unless all of the way up which doesn't keep the truck happy (runs hot). With the plow straight and dropped low the airflow is good.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
straight seems better . less likely to catch an edge

·
Registered
5 Posts
plow angle while traveling

On back roads I keep my blade angled right. If You go into the ditch you can drop the plow and the angle of the blade will "throw " the vehicle back up onto the road.We accept no Liability for this statement. Consult your Doctor, Lawyer Insurance Carrier, And MOM before attempting any such maneuver.

·
Registered
596 Posts
To the extent that the blade can *throw* the truck, I agree to some extent with lpsmith. I can't really make a blanket statement as to which way I want to be thrown though. It depends on whether I'm in the right lane or left, and whether there's a medial strip or Jersy barrier between the oncoming lanes, and whether or not there's a lot of snow at the edge of the lane.

If there's not a lot of snow at the edge of the lane it's not such a big deal one way or the other. If there is a big windrow at the edge of the lane, it can become critical in a big hurry. Assuming it's angled right, in the same way the blade could throw the truck back out of a ditch on the right hand side, it could suck you into the ditch or Jersy barrier on the left side, or even worse, into oncoming traffic. That's why if I'm in the left lane, I'll angle it left. Similarly, if it's a two lane road, I'd sooner angle it left, because I'd sooner get thrown into the curb or the ditch than into oncoming traffic. Furthermore, if somebody coming the other direction crosses the centerline, I'd sooner deflect them back into their own lane than further into mine. (Yeah, I know it's not going to make a whole lot of difference in that situation, but every little bit helps.)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Straight blades I angle left when there's traffic, keep them straight when the road is empty, usually at night when us plowers are the only ones out there. Vees I tuck both sides back some.

IMO, left is the only way that makes sense. It would take a real major snowbank to snag the raised corner of an angled plow. But that raised corner "could" cause a scenario like this:

Blade contacts oncoming small vehicle with raised left corner.

Blade, or edge, trips and jumps onto the hood.

Angle of the blade causes both vehicle to move towards each other.

Blade moves up hood and shears off windshield pillar of other vehicle.

Blade continues through passenger compartment of other vehicle, decapitating driver.

I have yet to see a snowbank high (and close) enough to suck me in by snagging the raised right corner of my plow and I do NOT ever want to see the scenario I just depicted. As far as I'm concerned, right is WRONG!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Well I see Alan woke up to a nice bowl of Lucky Charms this AM. :eek: lol

I always angle left, for most of the reasons digger242 mentioned, and Alan's gruesome story as well. But another reason is because I can see the left side of the plow easier than the right side. So angling it left also gets that blind right side up & in view a little better, so one can easierly (?) keep it from hitting all those snow banks (actually not the problem we deal with here in lack of snow country), ditches, parked cars & pedestrians (now pedestrians playing chicken with us oncoming plows, that's a common problem to deal with here). :grinz

21 - 40 of 42 Posts