Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I removed the wiring harness from my 2016 chev 2500 and put it in my 2019 chev 2500 now the truck headlights won’t shut off or turn the plow lights on when you use the switch inside the truck. You can hear the relay. Clicking when you hit the switch but nothing happens hoping for some advice local dealer will just say replace harness

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey guys I removed the wiring harness from my 2016 chev 2500 and put it in my 2019 chev 2500 now the truck headlights won’t shut off or turn the plow lights on when you use the switch inside the truck. You can hear the relay. Clicking when you hit the switch but nothing happens hoping for some advice local dealer will just say replace harness
Did you do the removal yourself?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
That's why I didn't ask you
There are what three logical options: The harness is damaged, the harness isn’t installed correctly , or the old harness will not work with 2019 because of a wiring change. Who installed it is a secondary issue at best.

·
Registered
232 Posts
There are what three logical options: The harness is damaged, the harness isn’t installed correctly , or the old harness will not work with 2019 because of a wiring change. Who installed it is a secondary issue at best.
You are correct, those are the 3 possible options.

If the OP had someone else (such as a dealer at trade in) remove it and now he is installing it himself, there is a very good chance it is just installed incorrectly, and perhaps not even connected to the truck harness at all, as impossible as that sounds.

If it was a dealership that removed it, they almost always ruin the harnesses in the process in their effort to save time.

If the OP did remove it himself, then it implies that he at least has a passing familiarity with how it is installed.

Did you have anything helpful to add?

·
Registered
224 Posts

If the OP had someone else (such as a dealer at trade in) remove it and now he is installing it himself, there is a very good chance it is just installed incorrectly, and perhaps not even connected to the truck harness at all, as impossible as that sounds.

If it was a dealership that removed it, they almost always ruin the harnesses in the process in their effort to save time.

If the OP did remove it himself, then it implies that he at least has a passing familiarity with how it is installed.

I'm guessing its a Boss? Can he go to the web site, see if the parts are compatible? OP, do you have power and ground at the correct pins on the relays?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm guessing its a Boss? Can he go to the web site, see if the parts are compatible? OP, do you have power and ground at the correct pins on the relays?
Based on his username and mentioning of the headlamp switch, I assumed it was a boss. The parts should be compatible so long as his original truck was 2015 or later.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Based on his username and mentioning of the headlamp switch, I assumed it was a boss. The parts should be compatible so long as his original truck was 2015 or later.
I read his first post again, if the truck lights will not turn off, is it possible on a Boss harness to connect the wires to the relay in correctly?
I do not know if it is a pre wired plug, or single wire connections.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I read his first post again, if the truck lights will not turn off, is it possible on a Boss harness to connect the wires to the relay in correctly?
I do not know if it is a pre wired plug, or single wire connections.
No, it's not like the Fisher relay setup, there are no individual spades. It's a 5 pack of sockets that the relays just push into. You can't screw it up even if you actively try.

My personal guess is that he forgot to disconnect the truck harness and plug it into the plow harness. As silly as that sounds, if I told you how often it happened, you wouldn't believe me.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

Again, the issue is just testing for this op.

·
Registered
232 Posts

Again, the issue is just testing for this op.
I would say "huh?" But the 10 character minimum prohibits it

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Diagnostics is the point of this post. Who put the harness in is less important once you decide it can only be three options of which compatibility is ruled out for his truck. Now we have two options broken harness or incorrectly installed. So first thing I would do is get a wiring diagram and check all my truck side connections. If they checkout testlight and see where the power dies.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Diagnostics is the point of this post. Who put the harness in is less important once you decide it can only be three options of which compatibility is ruled out for his truck. Now we have two options broken harness or incorrectly installed. So first thing I would do is get a wiring diagram and check all my truck side connections. If they checkout testlight and see where the power dies.
So your helpful, expert advice to the OP is that "either it's broken, wrong, or you installed it wrong" and he "needs to diagnose it." Got it. Good thing you are here.

Perhaps you could have just told him "This too shall pass."

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
So your helpful, expert advice to the OP is that "either it's broken, wrong, or you installed it wrong" and he "needs to diagnose it." Got it. Good thing you are here.

Perhaps you could have just told him "This too shall pass."
My expert advice is that you the expert give him the diagnostic tools he needs... I know it might be hard for you comprehend a cogent argument but try to work this out— your comments about the person who installed aren’t that important: the tests are all the same no matter installed the harness...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts