Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
well ron i goota say that is one hell of a pull plow!!!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some info on this

I currently have three daniels setups, and have always wished they had longer sides. But because of their design, they can't. I saw the Arctic plows with a parallelagram setup and thought it would work better. But they also have short sides, and only go up to 7.5'. So............

My neighbor has a fabrication shop and agreed to help me with this. We modeled the plow after the current Daniels, 7 gauge sheet with bends for stiffness. We went with 1/4" plate for the sides, and made them 24" long insted of 12" like the daniels. Farm & Fleet supplied the four bars and hydraulic pump / hoses. We fabbed the brackets on the truck. I used a poly edge with steel insert from Jerre that so far works great.

I can adjust the pitch of the plow by adjusting the upper or lower bars. Tha fact that this lifts straight up is great. I have more travel that the daniels for more clearance of piles. I already have plans to lengthen the sides more. I don't see a problem with going another foot or so. If the snow gets so heavy that it wants to stop the truck, I can just lift the plow a little and keep going. So why not go bigger! I will definately be modifying the other three for next year!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Nice work Ron. What do you have $ in this one ? What about setting one up for a spreader ?

Those S-10's were great trucks. My ex had one just like that with an off road package. Limited slip. With BF all terrains it was tuff to stop in the snow.

We were going to Door county one year with that s-10 in a Blizzard,the state shut down 43 that night, had to get a room. We left at first light and got to the resort and they had there f-350 plow truck buried in a drift. The guy was struggling bad to get anything plowed as well. He came from home with the company truck, trying to plow his way in, the place was snowed in. I draged him out, and all the way back to there barn about a 1/4 mile. He was impressed, then He got the deere and blower out.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have about $2200 in it. With new ones going for $3500, I figured it to be a good deal, especially considering that it works better than the production units. As far as the front, we will be adding some wings after the hollidays. My neighbor has been pretty busy with all the plows coming in for last minute repair, so we havn't gotten to the front yet.

I am very happy with the peformance of this little truck. Now that I have finished the pull plow, and when the wings go on, I think this will be one great little driveway machine!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot about the spreader question. I don't salt, as all my work is currently residential. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult. You could run too rams like a Sno Man, or a single ram and some linkage. I would expect it would depend on the truck. Any interest?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Watch that sport/utility blade carefully. Once the center wears out the blade is junk, there is no metal to weld onto them things, since they are like paper thin... I had one on my s10 that plowed commercially on the previous vehicle and 2nd time i plowed with it I tore the blade right off the A-frame..

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Watch that sport/utility blade carefully. Once the center wears out the blade is junk, there is no metal to weld onto them things, since they are like paper thin...
What part do you mean, exactly? This is my first 6.5', but I have another in the works. I would greatly appreciate forewarnings of what to look for.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
the blade its self is not strong and wont hold up to any abuse.. just look it over and you will see the cheezy center point on it...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ron, Awesome job on the pull plow! Kind of jealous of that rig. I agree with the comments on the Western. That plow you have is the "Sport Utility" model. Recomended by Western for non commercial use. And when they say that they mean it because you usually see those plows bent badly and or rusted out. The "standard" model 6.5 ft would be much better if you can find one. Where did you find a mount by the way? I have been keeping an eye out for a unimount mount for the 97 blazer I have but never see one.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ron, Awesome job on the pull plow! Kind of jealous of that rig. I agree with the comments on the Western. That plow you have is the "Sport Utility" model. Recomended by Western for non commercial use. And when they say that they mean it because you usually see those plows bent badly and or rusted out. The "standard" model 6.5 ft would be much better if you can find one. Where did you find a mount by the way? I have been keeping an eye out for a unimount mount for the 97 blazer I have but never see one.
I picked up a '94 with a bad engine that had the plow on it. It basically swapped onto the '99. Longer bars front to rear were all that were needed. I had my welder make me up another for the '96 I picked up. I can get a price for you if you are interested.

On the 6.5' up front, is the "A" frame OK on these? I was figuring these plows to be pretty light duty. I was thinking of just hanging a 7.5' up front in the future. I was actually planning on cutting 6" off each side of a 7.5' and adding wings for the scooping efffect. Also, these are strictly residential. We shouldn't be hitting piles at speed trying to push back. If one of these gets bent, it will be strictly driver error.

Thans for the comments on the plow. I am very happy with the way it turned out. Not bad for a first try.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ron, I would just be sure to carefully look over every part of that plow and then keep an eye on it frequently. If you are lucky enough to have one that is tight and staight you should be ok for a while if your careful. Just about every one of those sport utility plows I have seen is bent, although in all fairness I don't know the history of how they were used or abused. They also seem to rust out bad on those boxed "ribs" and along the bottom of the moldboard.

In regard to the mount, thanks for the offer on getting a price, but I'm not too serious about needing to have one for now. I figured I could have someone fab something up if I wanted one bad enough. This Blazer of mine is being used by my Mom now so I may not ever worry about plowing with it.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Ron

Awesome job with the pull plow welcome to the club of inavators :wink thats what 90 percent of the fun of working with Jerre and Thomas was on the Eries.

Like everyone has eluded to the front plow needs some help. If you built that pull plow theres no need to replace the western but Beef it up like Walt said your on a misson to tear the center pivot out. Cut those head light towers down for your own sanity, and iam not sure if you really want to see that much light on the left side but maybe turn the light so there going the same way,,,:wink they look like my Blizzard light towers after a storm:D but i didnt really use the towers with my supers anyway, and my Wrangler with its speedwing runs over head lights and two off the brush gaurd.

I think its a great Resi truck combo and honeslty like my Wrangler would work well in small doctors and dentist office parking lots also.

On the front blade you have the base board to work with just beef up the quad and members before you take it wider pretty sure if you dont going wide without mods then its gonna look like a V . I have a blade Jerre coined the prom queen that 9ft and has western , Diamond, and Winter all in one... welder , steel, anythings poss.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nice Job on the back blade Ron I like the setup. As for the front we have taken 680 and 720 blizzard moldboards and replaced the westen ones it works out pretty good with a few minor mods.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ron

Awesome job with the pull plow welcome to the club of inavators :wink thats what 90 percent of the fun of working with Jerre and Thomas was on the Eries.

Like everyone has eluded to the front plow needs some help. If you built that pull plow theres no need to replace the western but Beef it up like Walt said your on a misson to tear the center pivot out. Cut those head light towers down for your own sanity, and iam not sure if you really want to see that much light on the left side but maybe turn the light so there going the same way,,,:wink they look like my Blizzard light towers after a storm:D but i didnt really use the towers with my supers anyway, and my Wrangler with its speedwing runs over head lights and two off the brush gaurd.

I think its a great Resi truck combo and honeslty like my Wrangler would work well in small doctors and dentist office parking lots also.

On the front blade you have the base board to work with just beef up the quad and members before you take it wider pretty sure if you dont going wide without mods then its gonna look like a V . I have a blade Jerre coined the prom queen that 9ft and has western , Diamond, and Winter all in one... welder , steel, anythings poss.
Thanks Fred. It's amazing what the right guy and right tools can do. The light towers are getting hacked soon. Whoever designed them apparently never drove with them! The light to the left really helps us see addresses:wink.

You, like others, commented on the front plow. I have started a new thread about beefing it up. I am not sure exactly what the quad and members are. I do have a complete second unit, so down time is not an issue. More information and instruction would be appreaciated before I take it in.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts