Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Nice lookin truck Jbeland. Howd you get that Chevy to hold the weight of the 8'6"? Do you have timbrens or airbags holding that front end up cause it seems to carry it better than most chevies with even smaller plows.
Eric

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Like said above, it does handle the plow extremely well, what did you do to the suspension? Looks real good, as does the little Xtreme sitting there, whos is that?? My friend had one of those, customized like you wouldnt believe, truck was gorgeous, then he got rid of it for a convertible BMW M3. :shades Mike :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have cranked the torsion bars about 5 turns (I forgot since last year) and I have about 700-800lbs. of salt and sand in the back plus the 130lb. spreader. I have the tires at 75psi at all corners. I am going to get timbrens after this event once the extra cash comes in.

I have to find the pics of my 7.6 snoway that I had last year. It sagged pretty bad with no weight in the back, and that plow was at least 200lbs. lighter.

Thanks for the comments.

Jeff

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike, The X-treme is my dads, it is a 4cyc, 5 speed. I am fortunate to have parents that allow me to live at home while I get my business going. We have to do the drive way shuffle almost daily. My little brother also has an x-treme, except it is red and has the 4.3 w/5 speed. His completely sucks in the rain and forget about snow. They are impressive little trucks, at least handling wise.

Jeff

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thats a BIG plow for a 3/4 ton truck! Looks good though!

How did you make out in last years blizzard?

Only way I'd go 8.5' on a SRW would be with a V plow. Just too wide to break trail on those nasty driveways that are drifted shut.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
jbe-

Great setup, all Western equipment, I like!!

How do you like the 1000 model spreader, and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you end up paying for it? I'm considering buying either a Western 1000 or a SnowEx 575/1075. Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice truck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took a long time to decide if the 8.6 was the right size for my truck. I really wanted a V but the money wasn't there for it, so I figured the 8.6 is the same width as the V but a hundred pounds lighter. I may have some trouble with aprons, but it is only a foot wider than my last plow and I never had a problem with that one. I will just have to nibble away at it, if it is bad.

I paid $4450.00 after tax for the whole setup, uninstalled. The spreader was like $1200 I think, not sure, just know the final price of both. I took a quote from snowplowsupply.com to my dealer and he tried his best to come close. He originally quoted me 5200.00 for both, until he found out he knew my grandpa and I showed him the quote from sps.

I had no idea that uninstalled meant that you would get a moldboard and about eight boxs of parts. It looked intimidating, but 3.5 of us and a bunch beer had it together in about 4hrs including running around to find a wrench for the pivot bolt (it is really fricken big).

I got to push slush with it friday night. We had about 2-3 on the ground and then the wind from the lake warmed it up to 35 degrees and it all melted. I live about 4 miles inland, not in snowbelt country though. I pushed some at a church to get the cobwebs out, I couldn't charge them for having fun.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
all that equipment and you do the driveway with a snowblower!!! :eek:

Anyway, nice rig- looks alot like something I've seen once or twice:wink Have fun with it, but be careful- that's alot of plow. Don't go getting yourself hurt or anything.

BTW- after switching from 7.5 to 8.5 myself, I can't imagine running a 7.5 or 8' under ANY circumstance... (okay, there are places an 8.5 doesn't physically fit, but that'd be the ONLY exception!)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nice looking set-up, have fun playing in the snowplowing!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its funny that you noticed the driveway. My dad did it with his snowblower while I was salting. He likes doing it, so its one less drive I have to do.
:D

Jeff

·
Registered
660 Posts
The main reason I commented on the size is for various reasons, none of them weight related.

I have a BOSS 8.2V, and have had it for close to 10 winters. At least 3 Blizzards that I remember, and countless HEAVY WET 10-14" snows ( I don't think you midwesterners see many of these). With my truck weighed down with a good ton of salt have troubles "breaking trail" in the VEE position. Let alone bucking with a straight blade :eek: Even with my old Burban with the straight 8' Meyer, it too loaded down with weight (and it being heavy to start with!) found it VERY difficult when I switched from a 7.5' to the 8'er.

Its just a lot of blade to push when the going gets REAL tough and heavy. THis is one of the many reasons I'm really thinking hard about switching to a BLIZZARD brand plow. I'll REALLY miss the Vee position of the BOSS. I can go places with the Vee that others only dream of with a straight blade.

Are these Pro-Plus's REALLY that much money. When I read your prices, I thought that included installation, but....well, wow is all I can say! They ARE very nice blades though!

·
Registered
866 Posts
That is a sharp looking truck! I also noticed the driveway and wondered about it myself- but I have a dad who used to come over and mow my lawn because he liked to cut grass, so I know what it's like! It was great because I didn't have to worry about my own lawn, I could go home relax and have a cold one with him.
Hope you have a great season- post some more pics of your truck in action!!

Bill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts