Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have trouble with your engine overheating because the plow blocks air flow to the radiator when traveling at highway speed?

Are there any products on the market to solve this problem?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Try lowering the blade as much as you can get away with or change the angle. It probably won't take much of a change to get some more air through the grill. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Hi, welcome aboard to our very friendly, knowledgeable forum. :) This is a very common problem and I believe it was just discussed recently. All you can really do is try your hardest not to keep the radiator blocked by the plow. Dont raise the plow fully to the top when traveling. Keep it as low as you can without it touching the ground when you hit dips or bumps in the road. Some like to keep it angled and low. I keep it straight and as low as possible without it making contact with the ground. I do not know of any products on the market to solve this problem, all you can do that I know of is what I stated above. Sorry I couldnt be of anymore help. Glad to have you here, feel free to jump into any conversations in the future. :) Mike

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Welcome to Snowplowing-Contractors, lpsmith!:drinkup

I remember someone had made a foil on top of their plow to solve this problem, but I don't remember where I saw it. It was a curved piece of metal similar to the spoilers you used to see on the back of station wagons. It would deflect air over the top of the plow to the radiator to keep the truck running cool.

It seems the gas engined trucks have more trouble with this problem than diesels. I've found that keeping the blade low and angled keeps the truck running coolest at highway speed.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Welcome . What make and model truck are you talking about ?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I had that same problem even after i had to replace the water pump , radaitor and changed the thermostat. I was thinking maybe the clutch fan was not working , but then this past September I flushed the radiator even though it was less than a year old, and that seemed to fix it. So i assume the heater core was gummed up pretty good, from all that junk radiator repair stuff.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Try ALL different positions with the blade to see if it helps.Most everyone always trys to get the blade as low as possible,but it's not always best.Try the blade all the way up,and straight.My truck runs cooler that way.

A bad clutch fan will also cause that problem.Replacing it with a better one,or a solid fan may help keep the temperature under control.

·
Registered
72 Posts
On my Dodge, plow all the way up and angled full to the right. On my Ford 1 ton, al the way up and any position. Keeping it low on either one makes them overheat. You just gotta play with it till you find what's best for your's.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If he was using a Fisher, that little triangular lift head would act as an air dam to funnel some air towards the radiator!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts