Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched all threads and have come to no good conclusion on per bag priceing. I read $`15 per 50# bag applied for cal. At this rate that is equivelent to $600 per ton??? Bulk salt is applied for around 120 per ton applied. Is that correct or is this guy who told me that bulk rate pulling my leg. He has a small outfit that uses a sub for his applications. Im cunfused as hell here. Lets say normal snow 26f, one acre lot. 3 inches normal snow not to sloppy plowed and then salted. $120 for bulk or 600 for bag??? Im lost on priceing here am I missing something. I would like to start prepareing for next season. Equipment is all ready appearing in the papers here. I will probally go with a pickup tailgate spreader first. Depending on contracts I may opt for a v-box. Anyway you guys get the drift. Help please
Todd

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Not sure of bagged, but for bulk salt that sounds about right. There is a big difference between calcium and bulk salt, though. Basically, you're going to find that you'll get a far greater profit margin by using a V-box and bulk material over bagged. If you get a tailgate model planning to use bulk, get a two-stage.

I can't help much with pricing for bagged calcium as I have never used it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
ok, the way I apply material is $18 per bag for <2 bags (mostly applies to residentials) and 3 -10 is $11.00 a bag and 11+ bags is $8.50 a bag or 17¢ a pound Caliber treated salt is $18.00 a bag nomatter what quanity

my pricing on a 1 ton salting is $340.00 and cost is $85.20 based on $104.65 a pallet (49 bags- 2500#)

:edit: and this is based on 50's

·
Registered
72 Posts
Let's remember the labor difference here. I charge around $15 a bag, but if I had the coverage to do acres of salting, I'd run bulk. Its a matter of customer application. If you only spread 500-1500 lbs. per event, with 3 events per month, is a v box worth it? Using the $120/ton figure, are you gonna drive to, spread, pay for your spreader and gas, insurance, etc.. for $6 for and account that takes #100 and some time? 2 words, uh uh. You charge smaller accounts different than large, and bag different than bulk. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the input, very helpfull information.
As far as lot size what is the biggest you would attempt with a tailgate spreader?
Todd

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have seen 5-7 acre lots done with tailgate spreaders on a regular basis, one was 2-7 acre lots for a total of 14 acres and it was done with a meyer mini-square spreader

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can do large lots with a tailgate speader, it really hlps to have a guy in the back of the truck to keep feeding it. Otherwise you could figure about an acre per load, (Western 1000). Great for hotel lots, clinincs, small supermarkets, not the best for a Wal-Mart:cool: The courser the salt, the more you'll use.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We come in at around $15 per 80# bag, here.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Runner said:
We come in at around $15 per 80# bag, here.
I dont know how people can chuck 80's around, after 3-4 of them my back starts saying no way but I can throw 50's all night long
:shades

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
17 cents a pound for sodium chloride (rock salt)

36 cents a pound for potassium chloride

Sold in 50 # increments, so if I used 51# they bought 2 bags, and got 51#.

I still use this to date for the potassium, but I use bulk salt and am all over the board on pricing with my lowest at $180 a ton.

I also use "how many 50# bags would it take to cover this lot"

That's how I come up with how many pounds, but the v box spreaders ally more salt than what I did with the tail gate, so I add fudge to the price.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Big Nate's Plowing said:
I dont know how people can chuck 80's around, after 3-4 of them my back starts saying no way but I can throw 50's all night long
:shades
It's funny you say that! I just posted somewhere about this very thing, and promised myself that the next pallet I buy, will be 50#'ers. I'll pay the extra 20 some-odd dollars to not strain my back!:headwall

·
Registered
413 Posts
Last year when we were using bagged product I was figuring an 80# bag would cover about 10,000 square feet and I'd charge about $20.00 a bag. So I guess this works out to about $80.00 an acre. I'd try to get more like $100 or $125 to match the plowing price.

Last year we went through about 130 pallets of salt. About 15 on walks and the rest out of the back of the truck through a tail gate spreader. Most of the pallets were 80#'s. The Western Pro Flow 2 held ten 80# bags.

I did not like hefting 80's all night (and for sure by the end of the season I swore we'd be using bulk salt this year). But I also couldn't stand moving 50's either. Let's see... ten 80's or sixteen 50's? I went with the 80's since I didn't want to have to handle more bags. I got tired of the repetitive motion of picking up the bag, setting on the spreader, slicing the bottom of the bag open, shaking, and storing the empty bag until disposal. The fewer bags I had to handle, the happier I was.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Runner said:
I'll pay the extra 20 some-odd dollars to not strain my back!:headwall
That's funny you say that, around here, it's the same price for the pallet, but the amount of bags change that's on it.

You can get 25#, 40#, 50# and 80# bags of salt, by the pallet it's the same price. Per a bag it's a lot different.

And yeah a few 80#'s and I am done, but the 50#'s I could do all night, but that's one of the reasons I went to bulk salt......

NO MORE BAGS............And try huffing 6-8 pallets a night per a truck, plus all that time to load the truck again, and then all that time spend loading the spreader.

By the time you do 2-3 pallets, I could be done.

·
Registered
103 Posts
here is a way to look at it too. bagged salt 1 skid equals about 1 ton and cost about $200.00, not to mention the time it takes to stop every 600lbs to reloadin frrezing snow weather, and lets not forget all them empty bags you need to get rid of. Bulk salt 1 ton $45.00 loaded in the salter 3 ton at a time per load. staying in the warm truck with coffee in hand and radio on "Priceless". If you figure time and material cost bagged should be about 3 times the amount of cost. We use tailgate spreaders as well as v-boxes but our tailgaters are only used for small parkinglots less than 4000 sq feet or spot salting. we charge $20.00 per bag applied, and $160 per ton for bulk.

·
Registered
434 Posts
LawnLad,

Amen to that!

The 50# bags drive me crazy, way to many bags to open, etc. I like the 80# bags too!

Chuck B.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bulk vs. bag salt

I charge around $20.00 a Bag 50# . Is there a big differance in the salt content in bag vs. bulk?
I do small lots and use up to 10 bags sometimes. Why couldn't I charge $20.00 for #60 of bulk salt. Is there a differenc in the way they melt?

Thanks in advance , Steve

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Straight rock salt is straight rock salt, whether its bagged or bulk. Only difference is the bagged is dried first so it will work in single stage spreaders & to make the weight uniform from bag to bag. Though I guess it could be said that bulk salt might work a tad better if its wet as it is already closer to a brine state, making it work a little faster?

I've used the 50 pounders for the past bunch of years. While I can handle the 80's easy enough, and I agree on the theory of using less bags per salting, I decided it was safer to stick with the 50's. We're already working in an often times inherently dangerous situation in the back of a truck, wet or icy footing, slippery sides of the beds & spreaders, climbing over the other bags & equipment, usually dark, etc., etc. I figure its easier to not hurt the back or fall hustling the lighter bags, and I'm sure that would be the same for any employees. Switching to bulk in the Pro Flo 2 and shoveling it in from the bed has been even easier, quicker, and no dealing with the torture of " the repetitive motion of picking up the bag, setting on the spreader, slicing the bottom of the bag open, shaking, and storing the empty bag until disposal." Still can't wait to move onto the next step of a V-box though ;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Lawngodfather said:
That's funny you say that, around here, it's the same price for the pallet, but the amount of bags change that's on it.

You can get 25#, 40#, 50# and 80# bags of salt, by the pallet it's the same price. Per a bag it's a lot different.

around here for Halite
10# bags(dont ask why) are $245 a pallet or 249 bags
25# bags are $187 a pallet of 96
40# bags are $134 62 bags
50# are $121.52 49 bags
80# are $131 30 bags

Calcium is $397.50 a skid of 50 bags

Caliber is $325 a pallet of 50's

to be honest I actually prefer to keep about half a skid of 25's for doing sidewalks, they have a handle on top and you just reach in and throw some out as your walking

·
Registered
637 Posts
handle

Nate if you need a handel, try a five gallon bucket and save your money. Oh but I forgot you don't have a truck with room to haul things.... Just a thaught to save some money on those 25# 's as on fifty would fill 2 buckets half way to make an easy carry for your walks. Old paint buckets work great, cause they come with lids:cool:
Scott

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im a firm beleiver in buckets too. Work great for everything, including salt. I store a five gallon bucket of salt for when Im plowing in case I get hung up or end up on Ice in a rough spot. I sub contract now so no spreader yet. Next year I will be ready for the big jump to my own contracts. Allready eyeing up the snow ex 1075.
Todd

1 - 20 of 20 Posts