Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
paint for a Western plow
I have the common western cancer! what suggestions do you have to repaint a western. I was planning on sandblasting it then open to suggestions to primmer(2part or not?) then the final paint ,has anyone had a favorite paint that will stick to the steel but will not let the snow stick to the blade .thanks craig

Report this post to a moderator |

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
i have heard of a few people rino lineing the blade and likeing the results but ive never personally tried it myself otherwise get some red gloss rustolium. and put a few coats on then finish off with some wax after it gets to throughly dry...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I posted this on your other topic as well, but I'll post it again, incase that thread gets deleted.

I find it best to get rid of all the powdercoating. Sandblasting works well. I coated mine with a Rustoleum metal primer, and top coated with the "Safety Red" Enamel. I can usually go two seasons before I need to recoat it, and its usually just splotchy wear. I'm not afraid of using 2 or 3 coats, it makes a pretty durable finish.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I've got an idea that my plow is too new to try on... Between sandblasting and paint, finish the welding job that western started... make all the seams full-welded rather than stitch-welded. It won't keep paint on the moldboard, but it should help quite a bit with the back side! Oh, then hot-dip galvanize it if you want it to look REALLY cool

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've used a POR (Paint over rust ) sealing paint 2 yrs ago
and it has held up well. The face is almost clean but I plow alot
of dirt and gravel lots.

It stinks the rust starts under the ribs where the powder coating
doesn't go then migrates out into the blade area, then chunk city.

The welds are not complete for a reason, flex, if completely welded the welds would break.
Arc Burn, should be able to fill us all in on this.

8 Years ago I had the plow frame off the truck,tiredof black infront of the chrome grill ,so I sandblasted it then nickel plated the whole frame, looked good for at least 6 yrs!

Bob

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there any type of coating after I paint it to help wet snow from building up on the blade ? it seems to be a real problem on my small 6ft myers blade on my S15

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can try common automotive wax or snow ski wax. Both will do the trick but recoating will be needed periodically to remain effective. Good luck

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ski wax works pretty well. Don't be afraid to reapply after every wash for maximum effectiveness!

I tried taht tire slick stuff last year, I don't think it made a difference positive or negative, so I'll save it for my tires....

·
Registered
71 Posts
any of the cooking sprays like PAM will make the snow slide off faster than the factory paint rusts out :p

seriously I use the PAM on shovels snoblowers and will use it on my plow this year needs to be sprayed every 2 times or so for max effectiveness

Dean

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I used silicone spray to keep the snow rolling and it seemed to work well. BWMAX did you paint over that Por-15? Beacuse it UV sensitive.

·
Registered
217 Posts
snowjoker, No I did not .
The paint was SEM Rust shield paint.
It seems to have held up well. The back side of the blade is facing
west out side in the sun and No fading.

I don't have too much of a sticking problem, only real bad when its wet on the bottom of the snow, and very cold when you plow,
instant freeze.

Western use to sell a poly plowface liner you could rivet to the face of your plow.
How about Surfboard wax??????:rolleyes:

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts